Search the forum,

Discuss Tool for removing cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all. I can’t stand my dripping tap any longer so trying to replace a cartridge. It’s a mono block mixer tap in the kitchen.

I can take the headgear off no problem but the cartridge is recessed inside the tap housing - can’t a spanner to it, and it doesn’t look like there’s enough clearance between the cartridge and inner wall of the tap housing to fit a socket wrench.

Is there a specific tool for this job that I don’t know about, or is it a case of in built obsolescence?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Box spanner normally

Hello all. I can’t stand my dripping tap any longer so trying to replace a cartridge. It’s a mono block mixer tap in the kitchen.

I can take the headgear off no problem but the cartridge is recessed inside the tap housing - can’t a spanner to it, and it doesn’t look like there’s enough clearance between the cartridge and inner wall of the tap housing to fit a socket wrench.

Is there a specific tool for this job that I don’t know about, or is it a case of in built obsolescence?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Offset ring spanner, deep socket or 'box' spanner. Normally it's 17mm.
You'll then need to source replacement cartridges. Seek help here for replacements.

If you can’t take a pic of tap, any idea on make and model?

I advised a fix on a tap for a colleague recently where he explained what I think is the same problem. I suggested that the shroud around the cartridge unscrewed to gain access. He insisted it was welded or one piece and the shrouds could not be removed. He showed me a picture and I was still sure the shrouds would unscrew. Armed with new confidence he had a go and they did screw off. Then he could remove the cartridge with an adjustable spanner.

Just saying in case this one is the same style.

view

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's a pic of the cartridge inside the tap. As you can see, it's inset quite far into the housing. I bought a set of box spanners but there isn't enough clearance between the outside of the cartridge and the inner surface of the housing to get one in there. Offset spanner - no chance. I'm at a loss!

kitchen tap.jpg

Sorry but can we get a pic of the tap head on too please, it's hard to tell whether or not there is a removable shroud

How close is the box spanner had to grind / trim the sides before now

Does it look like there's no way to remove this one? The housing looks it has a thread on the inside, so I'm assume someone screwed the cartridge in there.

Craig Watson said have you got a picture of the tap from standing in front to see if there is a removable shroud.

The shrouds will def unscrew. They may well be gunked up so it may be a struggle but they will remove.

Ok this forum is officially amazing. Got the shroud off with some swears.

Next question. Can anyone tell what size / type of cartridge I need from this pic?

Standard spanner on the flat edges to remove it?

2E259F64-F080-4C6C-BEEA-2C6005C9DC6D.jpeg

8BE15535-81DC-4A80-BDB2-CADF44877E18.jpeg

Looks like it’s a stnd 1/2 one

Reply to Tool for removing cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock