Search the forum,

Discuss Too much air not enough hair in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,
Please help a football deprived wrinkly.
I've recently moved in our new house (20yr old) but all's not well. One radiator keeps filling up with air? It's a alien system (thought would be a condensing combi being a newish house) to me as we've got a boiler and a hot water storage, cylinder with 2 water tanks (1 large 1 small)
What I know usually there's a loop and a pressure valve but I can't find either to fill up the radiator?
Is it possible it self pressurizes ?
I feel wrong to let more air out of the one radiator if there's no water in the system.
Please help because I ain't got much hair left to pull out.
Thank you for any replies in advance
Ps it's make is Main heating condensing boiler.
Paddy

It’s an open vented system, the smaller loft tank is used to keep the radiators and pipework full of water so wen you bleed a radiator water will flow into it.
Although if you have to bleed it a lot then you may have an issue, maybe it’s not set up properly and is sucking air in, difficult to say for sure without having a closer look at it.
Thanks Stuart for your time, i really appreciate it. There is a dust cap like fitting on a inlet to the hot water tank which does drip every now & again?
I'll bleed the radiator again and if it fills with air again I'll get the professionals in.
Thanks again Stuart!
Paddy

As Stu says, your type of system is self-filling.
Thanks Stigster, I appreciate your time. Seems a weird system to have in a new house, the space it takes up is unreal. The women we bought the house off said it was a emersion heater for the water & boiler did the water? But that was just one of many lies told. Think a combi boiler would be a better idea seems a simpler system? Not sure what the positives having this system yet?
Kind regards
Paddy

Sometimes air is drawn in to a heating system on the vacuum side (upstream side) of the circulating pump causing build up in one or more radiators, among other potential causes of course. The simplest thing to try is to see if you can nip up the nut on that side of the pump using a huge adjustable spanner or more sensibly a pair of water pump pliers AKA grips. If you decide to do this you'll need to hold the body of the valve tight with an appropriate tool to stop it moving as you tighten the nut against the pump.

I must warn you though that moving a fitting can occasionally cause a weep but tightening is usually sound. Depending upon your DIY confidence levels, this is something you can try that isn't too difficult. If the pump valve is in good condition it won't cause a flood just trying to tighten it and it is the first thing I would do.

There can be other causes of air ingress but tightening that pump nut is probably the easiest thing to do and I have found it to be the cause of the problem enough times for it to be worth a go. If it doesn't fix it there are other things we can advise you to look at.

Sometimes air is drawn in to a heating system on the vacuum side (upstream side) of the circulating pump causing build up in one or more radiators, among other potential causes of course. The simplest thing to try is to see if you can nip up the nut on that side of the pump using a huge adjustable spanner or more sensibly a pair of water pump pliers AKA grips. If you decide to do this you'll need to hold the body of the valve tight with an appropriate tool to stop it moving as you tighten the nut against the pump.

I must warn you though that moving a fitting can occasionally cause a weep but tightening is usually sound. Depending upon your DIY confidence levels, this is something you can try that isn't too difficult. If the pump valve is in good condition it won't cause a flood just trying to tighten it and it is the first thing I would do.

There can be other causes of air ingress but tightening that pump nut is probably the easiest thing to do and I have found it to be the cause of the problem enough times for it to be worth a go. If it doesn't fix it there are other things we can advise you to look at.
Thanks stigster, are these the two large nuts that need to be tightened.
Again thanks for your time.
Kind regards paddy

Attachments

• 20200114_205750.jpg
    20200114_205750.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Too much air not enough hair in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock