Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet-Working Intermittently and Hissing Noise-No Leaks in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. My house was built around 25 years ago, and I think the toilet might be that old. The toilet is making a hissing noise, but there is no water leak I can find and our water bill hasn't gone up. Now the toilet will randomly stop working for a few hours and then all the sudden the hissing noise gets really loud for a few seconds and then starts hissing normally. It will work when I hear the hissing noise. I am worried that there is an issue with the plumbing. We have a new toilet to install, but right now, cannot get anyone to come install it due to the coronavirus. Any ideas for how to fix it in the meantime or what it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_213730047.jpg
    IMG_20200314_213730047.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200314_213742327.jpg
    IMG_20200314_213742327.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 13
The only thing that can make a hissing noise is either the cold water inlet valve filling normally or this same valve letting by when it should be closed.

If it is letting by the water must be going down through the internal overflow and into the pan. You don't have an external overflow there so that's the only place it can be going.

I can see in your picture that the water level within the cistern is currently below the overflow tube but judging by the water mark inside the cistern it has been overflowing. The cold inlet valve also has an overflow tube which is put into the cistern overflow tube. The hissing could also be the valve letting by and going down through there into the pan. It really does look like the water level has been rising above the overflow level though.

When it is next hissing, lift the lid and see if you can detect any water running down inside the pan. You will most likely need to replace that inlet valve on the left.

You could just replace the seal on the bottom of the valve, if water is trickling into the pan. To test put some dry toilet paper on the back of the pan and watch.

You could just replace the seal on the bottom of the valve, if water is trickling into the pan. To test put some dry toilet paper on the back of the pan and watch.

Do you mean the flush valve seal? I don't think the problem lies there as you can see the cistern has been overflowing by the tide mark within, plus the description of hissing from OP.

Reply to Toilet-Working Intermittently and Hissing Noise-No Leaks in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When we moved into our house in 2016, the electric water heater popped loudly when heating. After awhile, I researched and realized that it was likely due to limescale and/or other sediment buildup. I flushed it multiple times, but never got it to stop popping, so I eventually decided to replace...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow water shut off. Worked for a bit, but hammer returned. This morning, while the toilet was refilling and the shower was on, there was a loud thud that...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock