Search the forum,

Discuss toilet smells and missing pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, here's my saga:

ground floor flat (1993) with upstairs neighbour whose flush has not worked for 41/2years plus...who runs a lot of water down toilet, uses brush (?) and plunger frequently and at length..mental health issues,,,seems to be putting disposable rubbish down toilet....

Common soil pipe about 5 inches from my toilet which runs into it I presume. 2 overflows on outside wall at level of my toilet.

New toilet under 2 years ago, with shower next to it, replaced bath. Smells coming from upstairs when toilet used; about 6 months ago, new plastic pipe join (where toilet joins pipe) as great hole in existing one. Smells recently again and yesterday found pipe join with gaping hole again!

Why is this happening? Could it be the force of the upstairs activity? What can- must - be done??
Thanks so much for any advice.

Is this pipe with gaping hole a soft flexiable type? If so it could be rodents eating it from the inside or if neighbour is using a lot of chemicals to clean then it might, just might be the chemicals but that is a long shot.
Photos help us to advise.

Is this pipe with gaping hole a soft flexiable type? If so it could be rodents eating it from the inside or if neighbour is using a lot of chemicals to clean then it might, just might be the chemicals but that is a long shot.
Photos help us to advise.

Thanks. But no, it is the thick plastic circular joint that joins the back of the toilet that goes into the wall. This has broken twice now in 6 months -part of it, almost half the top (so 1/4 of the circle) of the bit that protrudes from the circle toward the wall has disappeared!
[automerge]1591107463[/automerge]
Thanks. But no, it is the thick plastic circular joint that joins the back of the toilet that goes into the wall. This has broken twice now in 6 months -part of it, almost half the top (so 1/4 of the circle) of the bit that protrudes from the circle toward the wall has disappeared!
Here are some photos when it was last fixed, including one of inflow in case it helps! Thank you so much.
[automerge]1591107726[/automerge]
[automerge]1591107463[/automerge]

Here are some photos when it was last fixed, including one of inflow in case it helps! Thank you so much.
photo ..173A - what has disappeared is the left side of the thin white strip nearest the black rubber.
[automerge]1591181167[/automerge]
Can anyone help please? I have understood that it is the rim of the pan connector that has broken off twice in the last year and disappeared. Why is this happening? Could it be from pressure from my upstairs neighbour forcing food waste (?) down her toilet and using the plunger frequently? Or what else? How can it be fixed durably please? Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMG0173A.jpg
    IMG0173A.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG0175A.jpg
    IMG0175A.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG0174A.jpg
    IMG0174A.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG0170A.jpg
    IMG0170A.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG0172A.jpg
    IMG0172A.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Not very clear but it appears to be an offset pan connector and it appears to be forced out of its comfort zone , ie it misaligned. The spigot is too far left in the pan connector instead of centralised.

Those pan connectors are not good in this situation, you would be better off with a soft malleable type such as Multikwik (every proper plumbers favourite...)

But to be honest the type you already have would be fine if the pan was shifted over to the right about 10mm.

I think the pan needs removing and refitting a bit more carefully - with a new pan connector - as the rubber in that one will now be distorted.

Not very clear but it appears to be an offset pan connector and it appears to be forced out of its comfort zone , ie it misaligned. The spigot is too far left in the pan connector instead of centralised.

Those pan connectors are not good in this situation, you would be better off with a soft malleable type such as Multikwik (every proper plumbers favourite...)

But to be honest the type you already have would be fine if the pan was shifted oveThank you r to the right about 10mm.

I think the pan needs removing and refitting a bit more carefully - with a new pan connector - as the rubber in that one will now be distorted.
Thank you so much -that makes sense and a simpler explanation than the upstairs activity of my neighbour, however weird...May I ask to check I understand: is the pan connector the whole white plastic circle, including the rim that broke off and disappeared? Should it actually be where the circular hole in the wall is? What is the black thin ring for - should it make the pan connector and pipe watertight? If so, should it fit exactly the hole in the wall/place where connector pan joins pipe?
I am getting foul smells from my upstairs neighbour's toilet and that whether or not the rim of the pan connector was broken off or not; would that be explained by the misaligned connector and should it stop once the connector is properly aligned? Thank you so much for your help-really relieved and grateful to know what is wrong!

Reply to toilet smells and missing pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock