Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet shut off valve dripping in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there. Forgive me, I am a total please moving noob....so I'm assuming the answer will be "call a plumber" but it's worth a try.

The shut off valve at the side of the toilet has started dripping. I had a look online and said first thing to try was turning the nut 1/8-1/4 and see if that stopped it. I initially thought it did, but it started dripping again. Through further discovery, I've (I think) worked out it isn't coming from the nut near the tap type part, but the nut on the right (I held it as straight and level as I could and the drip seemed to come from there. So the bit where the pipe connection and the nut meet.

I assume it's not as easy as 'just tighten the nut', but any advice? I'm pretty much a giant man child but after successfully replacing a waste pipe on a sink I just wondered if it was a possible repair for myself. Please see picture. There is another bit of pipe hidden on the right, it just moved when I took the picture. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_130638_1.jpg
    IMG_20210625_130638_1.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 10
1. There are three points it can leak from:
1a. The chrome compression nut for the white pipe on the left.
1b. The chrome compression nut for the incoming pipe on the right - not visible in your photograph.
1c. The small brass gland nut just at the tap end of the spindle.
2. From your description it is leaking from 1b.
3. You may be able to tighten it up. To do so:
3a. Hold the body of the tap to stop it turning.
3b. Put the open end of a spanner over the right hand nut.
3d. Lift the handle of the spanner upwards to tighten the nut.
4. How much to tighten it is a matter of feel and experience. However, don't be tempted to tighten it more than a 1/4 turn unless it is very loose to start with. If you overtighten it you can make the leak worse.

1. There are three points it can leak from:
1a. The chrome compression nut for the white pipe on the left.
1b. The chrome compression nut for the incoming pipe on the right - not visible in your photograph.
1c. The small brass gland nut just at the tap end of the spindle.
2. From your description it is leaking from 1b.
3. You may be able to tighten it up. To do so:
3a. Hold the body of the tap to stop it turning.
3b. Put the open end of a spanner over the right hand nut.
3d. Lift the handle of the spanner upwards to tighten the nut.
4. How much to tighten it is a matter of feel and experience. However, don't be tempted to tighten it more than a 1/4 turn unless it is very loose to start with. If you overtighten it you can make the leak worse.
I've just taken this. Wiped it all down again and made it so it was as level as I can get it to try and eliminate it running from where it is dripping to another part of the tap. It seems to be coming from where the right nut and the copper tap bit meets ...you can just about see a drip between them in this picture

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_154513_3.jpg
    IMG_20210625_154513_3.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Toilet shut off valve dripping in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock