Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet seat fixtures need tightening in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum

Can anyone help with how to tighten this toilet seat fittings - no brand names anywhere
Quick release seat with no access to rear/under the toilet
Not a typical bayonet, and the silver caps do not appear to come off

I've searched the internet and I can't even find the type of fixtures they are...

IMG_20200530_131636.jpg

The silver caps will pull off, probably stuck on with copious amounts of old pee.
Gentle taps on edges with a bit of wood helps loosen them, try twisting too ( wear rubber glove for purchase).
If all else fails pair of grips and extreme violence.

If they are well stuck (the silver covers) put some electrical tape around it to protect the surface, or around the jaws of some grips or pliers and grab and wiggle and pull. A lot.

Or wood chisel or anything with a fine edge under the edge of the chrome / stainless trim.
With tape or other protection on the pan and lever it up.

Try hot water over the trim to see if it will expand slightly.

I don't know how we've managed to get to having a million different toilet seats with half a million different fixings.
Along with 200,000 different fill and flush valves, or so it seems.

Not to mention 3 million different taps.

Last edited:
I remember those days, maybe they'll return when every business start to rationalize.
And we'll all be driving around in Trabants intead of the 30 gazillion different variations of cars, suv's and vans.

Suits me fine.

Mind you the forum would be a bit harder to edit your post once it had been put in the post box- to be collected Tuesdays and Thursdays.

well I managed to get the whole thing off. First image is the toilet seat. Second image is the connector/fixing. Manually tightening the screw works, but obviously expands the plastic plug so it doesn't fit in the hole. Are you sure the silver cover comes off?
IMG_20200623_162716.jpg
IMG_20200623_162709.jpg

[automerge]1592929419[/automerge]
Update 3: I believed! Having failed to jimmy, prise and talk...I used more WD40 (other cleaners are available). Pulled the screw whilst holding the cap and it actually moved. A bank on the top and it separated exposing the screw underneath. Thanks all for your help and advice.

Last edited:

Reply to Toilet seat fixtures need tightening in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock