Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet Running Overnight in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Got a streak of ice on the brickwork outside underneath the upstairs toilet cisterns overflow outlet which I only noticed as it's sub zero. Seems to be thicker everyday due to outlet pipe being snapped to the level of the brick. Checked the cistern and it seems to fill up and stop at a suitable level so bit perflexed why at night it seems to be running and annoyed and not been able to catch it in the act yet. Only thought could be water pressure overnight? I also have the heating on at night due to the temps.

Yes quite common for water pressure to increase at night so shows anything that’s going to fail soon

No sorry needs a new washer or inlet valve

It's a ball cock style valve. Is the washer you're talking about one at the bottom of the valve/cistern where you fix it on the cistern

Woke up at 5am today to look and fresh ice. Inside the cistern the water level was right at the edge of the overflow and outside of seeing a bit of dust moving along the water I could not see any waterflow whatsoever.

it’s called a ball valve diaphragm washer (or float valve) and can get any plumbers merchant or ‘screwstation’

Plumber replaced the washer in the valve and it still leaks abeit at a slower rate. One question. When I put my ear to the cistern when it's leaking I can hear a soft sounding straining/running water sound and wonder if it's related. Probably the main water tank(it's tank fed) filling up. It takes ages to stop filling.

Reply to Toilet Running Overnight in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock