Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet replacement - need advice in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Might be a very silly question, but have an old cistern toilet. Connects to the pipes as follows(see pic) - want to know if I can do a like for like replacement with any toilet type, or I'm limited for options.

Reason for changing is that toilet is getting blocked every 2-3 months - no issues unclogging(for now), but suspect it could be to do with the uneven flushing pressure the toilet is providing.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 0B56D436-3E81-44AE-A34D-F8543CA3B25E.jpeg
    0B56D436-3E81-44AE-A34D-F8543CA3B25E.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 19
Slightly limited in that it may be hard to get a close-coupled toilet to connect to that existing sideways soil pipe without spacing out the wall behind or using a flexible pan connector (which may cause blockages in itself).

Unlikely that the uneven flush pressure (if you only mean you have more pressure at the beginning of the flush) is a cause of blockages as that is standard for any toilet. If blocking is in the pan, most likely cause is limescale in the pan itself. Overnight soaking with citric acid (very cheap if you don't go for food-grade) may help significantly and, seeing as it's your own toilet, perhaps some scraping with a large washer by hand would also assist in its removal.

You seem to be using bleach to clean. I would recommend a dedicated toilet cleaner that contains some form of acid. Most supermarkets have at least one product that matches this description.

There is something Heath Robinson about how that flush pipe is connected, though. The pipe may insert too far into the pan and be obstructing flow. Equally, it may not be causing a problem.

Slightly limited in that it may be hard to get a close-coupled toilet to connect to that existing sideways soil pipe without spacing out the wall behind or using a flexible pan connector (which may cause blockages in itself).

Unlikely that the uneven flush pressure (if you only mean you have more pressure at the beginning of the flush) is a cause of blockages as that is standard for any toilet. If blocking is in the pan, most likely cause is limescale in the pan itself. Overnight soaking with citric acid (very cheap if you don't go for food-grade) may help significantly and, seeing as it's your own toilet, perhaps some scraping with a large washer by hand would also assist in its removal.

You seem to be using bleach to clean. I would recommend a dedicated toilet cleaner that contains some form of acid. Most supermarkets have at least one product that matches this description.

There is something Heath Robinson about how that flush pipe is connected, though. The pipe may insert too far into the pan and be obstructing flow. Equally, it may not be causing a problem.

1) "Slightly limited in that it may be hard to get a close-coupled toilet to connect to that existing sideways soil pipe without spacing out the wall behind or using a flexible pan connector (which may cause blockages in itself)."
Does that mean I'd have to re-do the pipes to have more options, or some kind of redesign with the toilet?

2) If blocking is in the pan, most likely cause is limescale in the pan itself. Overnight soaking with citric acid (very cheap if you don't go for food-grade) may help significantly and, seeing as it's your own toilet, perhaps some scraping with a large washer by hand would also assist in its removal.
Will give this a go -cheers! Usually unclog via drain cleaner or caustic soda with a plunger, does the trick until we get 2-3 months down the line and it clogs up again.

1) "Slightly limited in that it may be hard to get a close-coupled toilet to connect to that existing sideways soil pipe without spacing out the wall behind or using a flexible pan connector (which may cause blockages in itself)."
Does that mean I'd have to re-do the pipes to have more options, or some kind of redesign with the toilet?
Yeah. Either redo the cast iron soil stack and what looks to be possibly a secondary vent (expensive) or, if you just find your proposed new close-coupled toilet needs to be a few inches away from the wall to be able to come out with a bent pan connector, then you could build a sort of box behind it or fit panelling etc on the wall behind the cistern (cheap). The latter, done with care, can be a perfectly decent solution.

Consider building a box with a useful shelf on top at about 1100mm height. This box could contain a concealed cistern. Then fit a back to wall pan up to your boxing, this would connect to your cast iron and all pipework would be hidden away and everything easy to clean.

Reply to Toilet replacement - need advice in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock