Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet not flushing but not clogged in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
When flushed the toilet bowl is filling up to the rim and draining very slowly, we assumed it was clogged but have removed the toilet and there is definitely nothing blocking it, likewise the waste pipe did not appear clogged, when a power hose is run down the drain pipe it flows continually but when the toilet is re connected it fills up and drains slowly again. . . . Could it be something to do with the connection between the 2 not creating a vacuum or something?

Is the soil pipe open vented to the atmosphere or a durgo valve (AAV) automatic air valve.
Also is there a fall from the toilet to the soil stack..
1) needs air to discharge the contents from the toilet..
2) The greater the fall towards the stack the better the runaway..

Yeah it's open to the air, the toilet is ground floor, it's the only toilet in the house, although there had been 1 upstairs but it has been removed and the waste pipe closed off

We are only in the house a few weeks so not sure of its history, I don't think it flushed fantastically to start with now I think about it.

Has the manhole outside been checked for blockages where your toilet solids flow to ? Kop

Unfortunately there is no manhole to the soil pipe, there is 1 to a pipe that seems to only drain the water from the sinks, but there is a flow of water when the hose was put through the waste pipe. . .the house was built is 1948 and I read there was 2 separate pipes back then in most house?

What type of loo is it..
Close coupled?
High cistern?
Low cistern?
Back to the wall??
Push button
Pull flush??

Back to the wall??
Is the cistern consealed( can't see the filler pipe to the back of the loo
Or the cistern itself)??

What I'm thinking is the build up or a horrible flush ..
Could be the pipe from the cistern isn't swept ( like a long radius bend) which works well with flushing..
And has an elbow ..
WHICH LEAVES THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN GOING BROWN. As the water exits the tank a lot less and the loo doesn't create enough siphoning to clear contents away properly
Does it have a flexible type PAN connector.??
Is the loo fitted directly in line to the stack??
Or connected to a bend with a fall to the SVP.??(soil vent pipe)?

There's more..

When you " closed off" the waste pipe to the redundant loo upstairs...
You DID NOT. ( no don't do this)
Plug inside of the pipe..?
It's fine to plug or seal the old upstairs pipefrom the loo outlet pipe.
As long as you've not plugged or blocked it to have stopped the vent from working the SVP..??

Sorry, yes it's concealed in a vanity unit
the pipe that connects to the toilet goes straight into the concrete, from outside the vent pipe runs from the ground up past the roof but does have a pipe joining it which I assume is from the toilet that used to be upstairs

What I'm thinking is the build up or a horrible flush ..
Could be the pipe from the cistern isn't swept ( like a long radius bend) which works well with flushing..
And has an elbow ..
WHICH LEAVES THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN GOING BROWN. As the water exits the tank a lot less and the loo doesn't create enough siphoning to clear contents away properly
Does it have a flexible type PAN connector.??
Is the loo fitted directly in line to the stack??
Or connected to a bend with a fall to the SVP.??(soil vent pipe)?

There's more..

Personaly i think you would be best to get a drain company to put a camera up or down the problem drain you have all the symptoms of a collapse or break in your main drain run Cheers kop

No it was just closed off at the point where the waste pipe joined the toilet in the attic, nothing else was touched

Are you thinking it's most likely to do with the vent

When you " closed off" the waste pipe to the redundant loo upstairs...
You DID NOT. ( no don't do this)
Plug inside of the pipe..?
It's fine to plug or seal the old upstairs pipefrom the loo outlet pipe.
As long as you've not plugged or blocked it to have stopped the vent from working the SVP..??

Personaly i think you would be best to get a drain company to put a camera up or down the problem drain you have all the symptoms of a collapse or break in your main drain run Cheers kop
That doesn't sound good, that's for the advice, will look into it if nothing else works by tomorrow

Check the other notes I've wrote as to the PAN feed from the cystern to the loo..

And if the upper tier deck of the pipe is blocked off does cause a problem in the run.
Best to remove an access cover from somewhere to have a look.

And if the upper tier deck of the pipe is blocked off does cause a problem in the run.
Best to remove an access cover from somewhere to have a look.

Sorry, do you mean the closed pipe from the old toilet could have caused a problem
there is no access to anything. . .very strange in its self but there are a few strange things with this house

I'v seems to be a bit better now, than it was so not sure if it was maybe re connected better this time. . .it's still not right per say, there is definitely something funny going on, too dark and wet now to do anything more, will have to wait until tomorrow, thanks for all the help

Alternative is to air test.

You'd need an air test kit
Is the soil pipe made of plastic or cast??

You're not a plumber.
To explain isn't going to assist the issue.
The best thing is to get a plumber in to check things out for you.
Carrying out the air test would mean plugging the soil pipe from an access to check there's no build up of pressure from the ground floor to the top of the SVP where it's aired to atmosphere.
If there was a build up of pressure !
This means it's blocked and not being vented to atmosphere properly.
Don't lets get complicated.
As surely it's something more simpler..

It sounds like vent or soil pipe under ground is blocked as mentioned above.
Can you cut the old pipe/vent to check ?
Other option could be to change the multiwick for type with vent/durko built-in

Well I wouldn't try to rod it from up there to see whether there's an obstruction caused from Where the upstairs loo were removed.
Is the soil stack made from cast iron??

Well I wouldn't try to rod it from up there to see whether there's an obstruction caused from Where the upstairs loo were removed.
Is the soil stack made from cast iron??
Yes it's cast iron .

OK I think I follow the air test process too so will try sort that tomorrow, weather permitting lol

If it's Cast iron then it's almost certainly blocked/obstructed (like arteries of the heart leading to a heart attack or full bowl in your case) with just enough space remaining for a slow trickle or hose to empty tru.
As the vent section is no longer used its clogging itself up deteriorating.

As Heliotrope has asked siphonic pan is a must to check it fits in with the dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet not flushing but not clogged in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock