Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet flusher keeps clipping out in the cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

What can I do to fix this? It continuously happens. C link clip gets stuck and has to be manually popped back out to flush toilet.

I realise this is likely a basic issue but I have no idea and need a fix.

Thank you.

66CFF9A3-8253-49BF-A987-218B377389C4.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A1CE4E2-F722-4BA2-8C5E-FABCB1A5FB26.jpeg
    0A1CE4E2-F722-4BA2-8C5E-FABCB1A5FB26.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 8
Surely the problem is that the flush handle is mounted at an extreme angle? The tapered collar is 180 deg. rotated from where it should be. it's presumably supposed to make up for the curvature of the front of cistern, but it's round the wrong way, making the angle even greater.
The nylon bar that lifts the link should be parallel with the back of the cistern, so that the metal C link is vertical - it's over one side at the moment so that's why it's catching!

Surely the problem is that the flush handle is mounted at an extreme angle? The tapered collar is 180 deg. rotated from where it should be. it's presumably supposed to make up for the curvature of the front of cistern, but it's round the wrong way, making the angle even greater.
The nylon bar that lifts the link should be parallel with the back of the cistern, so that the metal C link is vertical - it's over one side at the moment so that's why it's catching!
Thank you. Again, apologies for what’s likely been a ridiculous question. Just moved in to this house and the bloody thing has been an issue from day one. At least it can be fixed now.
Thank you for taking the time to answer!

I'd change that bzp woodscrew for brass or s/s or it'll be a frustrating brown paste in a year or two. Always brass or s/s inside the tank if possible đź‘Ť

I'd change that bzp woodscrew for brass or s/s or it'll be a frustrating brown paste in a year or two. Always brass or s/s inside the tank if possible đź‘Ť
It does look as if that screw is so long it will foul on the cistern once the handle is mounted correctly!
Surely not what was supplied? Or was it 🤔

It does look as if that screw is so long it will foul on the cistern once the handle is mounted correctly!
Surely not what was supplied? Or was it 🤔
Moved into the place just last week. The bathrooms are brand new and were installed just before it was put on the market. Don’t know who did the work- whether ex owner or tradesman- but it’s not the first instance of things being not quite right that we’ve encountered since moving in.

Weirdly the exact same toilet is installed in a downstairs cloakroom but there’s no issue with that one at all and the flusher sits normally whereas this one sticks up like the titanic about to go down.

A C clip is a *** packet design in general. It allows things to work with a bit of misalinement. This is a good thing as every cistern is a bit different, though that cistern is an unfortunate design that uses and abuses this characteristic. But plumbing can be a black art, sometimes it's the details that separate a spanner monkey from a craftsman or craftswoman, and a careful installer should be able to make that cistern flush.

So what you need to do is to correct the details. As well as the advice on the shim in #4, which does makes sense in theory (but without seeing the outside of the cistern, I cannot necessarily confirm it is correct in your case - as Basher says, 'presumably'), you could also try taking the C clip off so it hooks through the opposite way, a different length C clip, or a different design of flush arm (longer, shorter, cut a bit off if you have to). The other thing to bear in mind is that the siphon does not have to be parallel with the back of the cistern and could be rotated slightly if it helps the alinement with the flush lever linkage.

Reply to Toilet flusher keeps clipping out in the cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock