Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet cistern help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, looking for advice. In orderto flush my toilet, I need to 'pump' the flushing handle a few times to get the pressure for the flush. Sometimes this takes longer than others and its a pain if we have visitors etc. I need to get it fixed. I asked about it when in a DIY store and they said it was probably a washer that needs replacing on the base inside the cistern. I believe he meant the base of the part arrowed in the pic at the link below? Does that seem a possible explanation for the pressure issues? and if so, how do I get at that part?

tinypic.com/r/2e2qmv6/9

2e2qmv6.jpg

you have two options

option one replace the siphon washer (if you can get one to fit) there should be a nut on the left hand side just below the top, unscrew that and remove the screw in the flush are (connects the handle to the siphon) and the whole siphon should lift out (might need to remove the handle)

option two replace the whole siphon

Last edited:
Fit a new siphon, if you gotta take the old one out it ain't worth messing around

Fit a new siphon, if you gotta take the old one out it ain't worth messing around

It's a two part syphon designed to have the diaphragm replaced from the top. Might have to slacken off the handle back nut.

Oh dear, I'm lost. Any videos of this job in action? Theres a few I see on youtube but none of the same cistern set up as mine.

if you lost at this stage, employ a plumber, ask to watch and next time you will be aware of problems changing syphons or their washers

as above not too bad if you know what your doing

Can't afford a plumber. Thats the reason I'm asking here. If the conversation here stayed on topic - as opposed to commenting on the aspects of different siphons - then I may have been able to do the job.

Can't afford a plumber. Thats the reason I'm asking here. If the conversation here stayed on topic - as opposed to commenting on the aspects of different siphons - then I may have been able to do the job.

Already told you how my first post

Yes, well, I looked a this link which seems a similar situation to mine, and he is talking about taking the whole cistern apart from the bottom. Just a little confused really. Sorry. (again, it wont let me post the www bit)

handymanknowhow.co.uk/plumbing/toiletwontflush.htm

You're fortunate in that you have a 2 part syphon, there's a retaining clip that allows you to remove most of it without having to undo the bolts and remove the whole cistern as it shows in the link you posted.
You need to unclip the syphon (there's a part you need to undo on the longer of the vertical tubes) and lift the syphon top out, then you will be able to replace the torn diaphragm, or just get a replacement syphon and replace the whole part you removed.
You'll need to unclip it from the flush handle first.
PaulPlumb above could be right when he says it's a Macdee Metro syphon, get it out and go round your local merchants until you can get a replacement, or a new diaphragm for it.

Saying that though, it might not be as expensive as you think for a plumber to come and sort it out for you. Infact if that plumber has some DPM, he'll be able to cut you a new diaphragm and replace your old one in no time.

You're fortunate in that you have a 2 part syphon, there's a retaining clip that allows you to remove most of it without having to undo the bolts and remove the whole cistern as it shows in the link you posted.
You need to unclip the syphon (there's a part you need to undo on the longer of the vertical tubes) and lift the syphon top out, then you will be able to replace the torn diaphragm, or just get a replacement syphon and replace the whole part you removed.
You'll need to unclip it from the flush handle first.
PaulPlumb above could be right when he says it's a Macdee Metro syphon, get it out and go round your local merchants until you can get a replacement, or a new diaphragm for it.

Saying that though, it might not be as expensive as you think for a plumber to come and sort it out for you. Infact if that plumber has some DPM, he'll be able to cut you a new diaphragm and replace your old one in no time.

Unscrew not unclip

Well done and thanks for letting the forum know. It's always nice to see someone have success like this. So many people come for advice and we never hear form them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet cistern help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock