Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet and drainage issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, looking for some advice about an issue that's just occurred.
We have an 18yr old semi with bathroom and ensuite upstairs, downstairs toilet, all plumbing etc has been working fine
2 nights ago the plughole in the bathroom started gurgling when either of the upstairs toilets were flushed and toilets not draining properly when flushed.

This persisted yesterday, very slow for all 3 toilet bowls to drain
The Mrs had a bath and when she drained it the toilet bowl in the ensuite started bubbling, the shower cubicle was gurgling then some of the bath water actually came through the waste pipe in the garage, the one that the washer waste pipe goes into. It cause a minor flood in the garage, just a couple of litres I think, not all the bath water.

Also when we run the basin tap in the bathroom or ensuite the bath plughole gurgles.
I've cleaned a bit of hair out of the bath plug and run a course of Mr Muscle through the bath plug, the basins and bath plug are draining quickly enough

I've ordered a dccent bellow style plunger from amazon coming today and will see if that can blow any blockage away

So to summarise toilets are draining away just slowly and plugholes and toilets are gurgling at times and water popping out from the bath into the garage.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks
[automerge]1574623076[/automerge]
I think it must be a blockage in the main drain, my neighbour has had issues too, been trying to get the manhole cover up for the last 90 mins , it won't budge, it's the block paving recess type

Last edited:
Send us piccy of the lid? Also if its affecting more than 1 property it's likely to be a shared drain in which case the water board will clear it for free.- check their website.

20191124_193547.jpg

We tried to dig out the sand and managed to raise the handles up but it's not moving
[automerge]1574624966[/automerge]
Send us piccy of the lid? Also if its affecting more than 1 property it's likely to be a shared drain in which case the water board will clear it for free.- check their website.

Yes I'm assured it is a shared drain, my neighbour lifted the lid once, before we had it block paved and it was just a normal cover, he said he could see where it flowed in from both our properties. The issue he has is his rear drain is overflowing where the kitchen sink feeds into, not sure if mine is because we have raised decking and the kitchen pipe feeds down through the decking so can't see underneath it

Last edited:
You will get best results from an old fashioned string mop worked when wet up and down in your toilet pan. Really be vigourous use plenty of water. When you use a plunger on a sink make sure you cover the overflow this will increase the pressure exerted by the plunger. centralheatking

Think you are past the stage of unblocking it yourself you definitely need a drain company in to jet the main drain the tell tale signs are there on the block paved drain cover . Kop

Thanks for the help, the issue seems to have resolved itself.
My neighbour text me late last night to say he heard a noise then suddenly his blocked drain cleared, I checked my toilets and taps etc and everything's back to normal. I got the manhole cover up this morning with the help of the builder who put the drive in about 6 months ago and it all looks great and flowing fine

Thanks again

Lift that lid and you will probably change your username!!!!

There may even be some head pressure in the drains, which will make lifting the lid more eventful.

Even better video it for us and post it here,

Looks like sand around the lid, the tray type ones can be a bugger to get off. Glad to hear it seems fixed. I said that if the water board clears it it's free, it isn't, you've already paid for it on your water bill! If it's more than 1 property they'll do it for you.

Think you are past the stage of unblocking it yourself you definitely need a drain company in to jet the main drain the tell tale signs are there on the block paved drain cover . Kop

I think the sand/grit around the cover is from OP scraping it out to free it rather from anything overflowing from the drain. Unless you meant something different by tell tale signs? Just asking out of interest in case there's something I'm missing.

Reply to Toilet and drainage issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock