Search the forum,

Discuss Tinfoil hat or good planning? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

The wife has mocked me endlessly because in the run up to Brexit filled a couple of stack boxes with non perishable food, bottled water, first aid kit, basic medicines, torches and 100L of diesel.

I’m 99% certain it will all go in the bin in 5 years time but find it reassuring given we seem to be having more extreme weather these days and even this Coviod-19 carry on. Part of this is possibly down to being away and living in a world where running out of water in bad weather isn’t that uncommon.

Has anyone else done anything similar, various governments seem to be suggesting it’s not a bad idea at the min.

Has anyone else done anything similar, various governments seem to be suggesting it’s not a bad idea at the min.
I've doubled my normal stock levels of loo paper and vinyl protective gloves. There are some things I don't want to have to live without.

Depends where you live if it’s out in the sticks good practice

I’m 20 mins drive from a supermarket in a tiny village, it’s a 30 min walk to the nearest small shop.

I’ve not gone mental but have enough stuff to get by for a week or two if we really had to. A few bits like firs aid kit, torches, batteries and a wind up radio.

We’re all very used to being able to pop to Tesco if we need anything. We were stuck for 3 days last time we had heavy (for the U.K.) snow.

I have always kept 1.5 ton of mains water in one of those big orange juice containers, flushing it thro regularly by watering the gardens. Centralheatking

People take the mick out of me because I do the same. I have a Katadyn water filter kit which can allegedly produce 10,000 litres of clean water on one cartridge although I hope I'd never need to use it for long enough to wear it out. I also, like you, keep a couple of stackable boxes under the stairs with supplies for emergency use. Living on a small densely populated island, just a week of bad weather with no ships docking sees our fresh goods and also bread (they closed the big bakery a few years ago) is unavailable. A couple of weeks of lockdown and we'd be in real trouble.

I keep a gallon of cooking oil, a few kilos of porridge oats, same with that rough brown pasta, a case of tinned mixed veg in tomato sauce, tins of mixed beans and legumes, A kilo of salt, and the same of sugar. A first aid kit too. My problem right now is that it is all five years old at this point so I'm going to go through it this weekend and see what needs chucking out and replacing.

For stored water I'd block the overflow and plughole and fill the bath to the brim. Use the filter to keep it potable at point of use.

My friends laugh at me but honestly, when/if the time comes, there's been no boat for a couple of weeks they'll be trying to come stay with me but I've warned them it isn't happening unless they bring supplies.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Now I'm pretty sure you all think I'm nuts too...

Reply to Tinfoil hat or good planning? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock