Search the forum,

Discuss Tindish leaking after boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

What Stigster said plus the Benchmark sticker on the cylinder should have been completed with the installer's name and contact details, etc. Without this any warranty on the cylinder will be invalid.

Yes, you can. In a case like this you have between six and seven years to sue for breach of contract.
He is coming round later to look at the dripping and has been doing lots of jobs for me over the years. I feel terrible questioning his workmanship. Not sure how to go about it :-( but want this sorting.
[automerge]1570959549[/automerge]
There is no time limitation for redress on non compliance with regulations before they are identified.

So the installer is qualified. He / she installed it two years ago, registered it through their certifying body and you have been issued with a Certificate of Compliance by Building Control. That is what qualification means.

All you do now is send to Building Control the certificate and the pictures you have posted here - they will do the rest, initially by contacting the Certifying Body.
He has registered it with building control. I have seen in their site but I don’t think I have the certificate.

I can't see it being more than a day's work for someone who knows what they are doing. A few hundred is certainly possible but it shouldn't be 'thousands'.
Thanks. What about the tank being too heavy for it’s position?
[automerge]1570960068[/automerge]
I’ve found the building control certificate. But if is only for the boiler. Not the other bits.

Thanks. What about the tank being too heavy for it’s position?
Difficult to tell from the photographs. If the joists are a decent size and correctly spaced it just needs to sit on a board(s) to spread the load. (I'd want treated timber or marine ply for this, not chipboard.) If the joists need supplementing it'll add a bit to the cost but still hundreds not thousands.

There is, however, no 'right' price for this sort of work. You need to get a competent firm to inspect the current installation and quote for bringing it up to scratch.

Last edited:
It looks like a DIY job from the pictures.
To give us an idea of if you have been ripped off - Whats new, what did you pay for and what did it cost?

Two points.

1. Your roof structure is a traditional ridge beam with a purlin. Slightly unusually, your joists ( which appear to be 6”) are running parallel with the ridge at what seems to be a wide spacing.

On a 6” beam spaced at 2 feet, the centre of a 300 kg tank should be directly over the beam in one direction and a maximum of 3 feet from the point of support in the other. The boarding needs to a minimum of 5/8”.

2. With respect to certification most Gas Safe Registered engineers who are G3, use Gas Safe as the certifying body - just ask the guy to resister the G3 installation too.

Without teaching you to such eggs - these issues ( Building Control Certification) emerge when you want to sell the property - most solicitors packs for mortgaged properties request them.

Two points.

1. Your roof structure is a traditional ridge beam with a purlin. Slightly unusually, your joists ( which appear to be 6”) are running parallel with the ridge at what seems to be a wide spacing.

On a 6” beam spaced at 2 feet, the centre of a 300 kg tank should be directly over the beam in one direction and a maximum of 3 feet from the point of support in the other. The boarding needs to a minimum of 5/8”.

2. With respect to certification most Gas Safe Registered engineers who are G3, use Gas Safe as the certifying body - just ask the guy to resister the G3 installation too.

Without teaching you to such eggs - these issues ( Building Control Certification) emerge when you want to sell the property - most solicitors packs for mortgaged properties request them.
Hi. The tank is only a 150 one. Do I definitely need a building control one for the cylinder in the loft?

With respect to unvented systems, in England, the installer is under a legal obligation to register the installation with the relevant local authority. This is then certified either by the installer through their competent persons scheme ( such as Gas Safe) or by Building Control. For the installer, the fine fine for not doing so is unlimited, for the homeowner the fine is capped at £5k. Having said that I have never seen a prosecution for not registering an installation.

Where the issues do arise is when a property is being sold and then it is identified that an installation has not been notified. In my area, Building Control are very reluctant to issue a certificate retrospectively and they certainly won’t do it without an inspection ( circa £250).

Bear in mind if Building Control visit, they normally with not issue any certificate for anything unless the installed smoke alarm throughout the property is to current specification.

It is then that the issues technical non compliance emerge, and so the story goes on...

Reply to Tindish leaking after boiler service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock