Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Good evenings,

I've just been out to quote for a tiling job, which will involve taking the old tiles off and tiling round the new bathroom suite that her son 'fitted'. At the moment there's a Mira power shower fixed to the wall with no tiles behind it, obviously I need to tile behind it but do I take it completly off? If so is it just like taking off a 13 amp socket to plaster round?

Last edited:
the cable shouldn't be a problem as their will be enough play in it.
the mains cold feed maybe if it comes out of the wall as this will more likely be secured in the wall. so not having any play in pipe.
the main trouble with electric showers fed from behind is they only have about 1" of pipe before an elbow into the shower fitting. so if you fit your tiles and that brings the wall out another 10-15mm on refitting the shower the pipe will be 10-15mm shallow.

and as stated in mi for electric showers they must be tiled behind not up to so they can breath.

i would tell him the problem and state its down to him to remove the shower and refit.
common sense it should of been done in two fits. but thats diyers for you. good luck.

to tile a bathroom you will need to remove the shower isolate the water and electric and undo the connections so the wire and pipe is sticking out of the wall the only thing if the shower fits on the wall without the tiles on the wall then the pipe and wire may not fit once it is tiled, when tiling a bathroom you will also need to remove the toilet and basin to tile behind them, do not try to tile round the items thats would be a diy job if your getting paid for it then do it right the first time

Thanks ajs, uug

I said earlier it was a power shower but thinking about it now, it had its own pull cord for so that would make it an electric shower to my mind.
Are the inlet manifolds for Mira showers push-fit?
She's an elderly lady on her own you see so there's no chance of her taking the shower off, I think she'll understand anyway because the original qoute (when she rang up) was for a loose bathroom tap which I did free of charge as she only lives round the corner from me and it only took 5 minutes, so on my way back to my van she called me back and said would you do me a price for the tiling.
For a small bathroom, to remove the old tiles, put new tiles on, seal around bath with it full of water roughly how long and how much ?(just me working 10 hrs a day - she supplies tiles).
P.S On my travels I keep seeing the inlets for new toilets connected with a flexible hose/isolating valve, does anyone else see this?

Showers vary from model to model with regards to connections some are push fit some are just plastic pipe (put your own connections on push fit or compression) i have seen compression flexi pipes fitted to showers by plumbers just so they don't have to go into the wall(i would not recommend it)

Tiling…
We charge £25 per sq meter but the price includes adhesive, grout and trim
In Bradford there is a tiling academy and the area is flooded with tilers that has pushed the price down and with the lack of work for tilers some are charging as little as £15 per sq meters and others are taking a 5 day DIY plumbing course to under cut plumbers for full bathroom refits

Toilet connections….
Because toilets are getting smaller. Instead of moving all the pipe work and to save time flexi pipes are fitted they are also good when you are tiling so you can move the toilet out each day and when you tile a floor you don’t need to adjust the height of the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiling question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock