Search the forum,

Discuss Tile drill bit recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What drill bits do you guys use for drilling thick porcelain tiles? Got 4 bathrooms to second fix with 10mm thick tough porcelain tiles. I’ve tried loads of different bits over the years and just don’t find they last very long.

These are good on porcelain.

They attach to a grinder and go through a like hot knife through butter.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rubi-dry-cut-diamond-tile-drill-bit-set-5-pcs/5516k

They come with an adapter for a drill

Marcrists are ok providing you keep the hole in the middle clear, otherwise they block up and prevent the bit moving deeper in to the tile and shorten the life of the bit considerably.

I don't disagree with you Ben-gee, but from memory they don't tell you to clear the hole in the instructions (Which is only 2-3mm in diameter in the 6mm diamond bit and as such incredibly difficult to actually clear out). So, you can either learn the hard way (unfortunately like I did) or hope that someone might give you advice so that you don't have to.

The Rubi kit from screw fix is pretty good...don't try using the drill adaptor.. put them on the M14 thread on your grinder... start your holes at 45 degrees and don't force the bit or it will burn out. If I'm drilling more than 1 or 2 holes then I cost a set into the job to allow for
fixing wall channels, towel rails etc and the inevitable loo roll holder/mirror/ toothbrush holder/towel holder/shelves/cabinets that the customers assumes is part of the job (so cost for that too !!)

I just use the Bosch multi cons. Get around 6 holes per bit and only cost a few quid each and I've gone through some very dense porcelain.

They’re great bits Craig and I use them for most things,. I have, however, come across porcelain that they just won’t touch. The worst I’ve had has been from grespania but a lot of the manufacturers seem to be going overboard on this recently. Really difficult to cut and drill, unnecessarily so as far as I can see.

Regular drill bits can make a rough and ugly hole, and they may cause the tile to crack. Tile bits with ground tungsten carbide or diamond tips are the best for this purpose. They are both designed to drill into hard surfaces, and both of them puncture the tile with a cone-shaped hole.

Reply to Tile drill bit recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock