• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Tile drill bit recommendations in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

mfgs

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
What drill bits do you guys use for drilling thick porcelain tiles? Got 4 bathrooms to second fix with 10mm thick tough porcelain tiles. I’ve tried loads of different bits over the years and just don’t find they last very long.

tomplumb83

Plumber
Reaction score
Ive gone for the Marcrist pg750.
That and the Ruby are £15 On ebay

Last edited:

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
They come with an adapter for a drill

Reaction score
Marcrists are ok providing you keep the hole in the middle clear, otherwise they block up and prevent the bit moving deeper in to the tile and shorten the life of the bit considerably.

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
You could say that about most tools, they work better if you use them properly!

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you Ben-gee, but from memory they don't tell you to clear the hole in the instructions (Which is only 2-3mm in diameter in the 6mm diamond bit and as such incredibly difficult to actually clear out). So, you can either learn the hard way (unfortunately like I did) or hope that someone might give you advice so that you don't have to.

Reaction score
P.S. thanks for giving me an excuse for placing another post, I'm trying to get to 10 so I can join the Gas Safe Forum. Only one more to go ;O)

Tim S

Reaction score
The Rubi kit from screw fix is pretty good...don't try using the drill adaptor.. put them on the M14 thread on your grinder... start your holes at 45 degrees and don't force the bit or it will burn out. If I'm drilling more than 1 or 2 holes then I cost a set into the job to allow for
fixing wall channels, towel rails etc and the inevitable loo roll holder/mirror/ toothbrush holder/towel holder/shelves/cabinets that the customers assumes is part of the job (so cost for that too !!)

Reactions: Mrb

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I just use the Bosch multi cons. Get around 6 holes per bit and only cost a few quid each and I've gone through some very dense porcelain.

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
They’re great bits Craig and I use them for most things,. I have, however, come across porcelain that they just won’t touch. The worst I’ve had has been from grespania but a lot of the manufacturers seem to be going overboard on this recently. Really difficult to cut and drill, unnecessarily so as far as I can see.

Jon30

Reaction score
To effectively solve this problem, three basic types of tools can be used: diamond crowns for porcelain stoneware and two types of diamond drills.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom