Search the forum,

Discuss Tightness testing a boosted system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, first time poster here and hoping for some help.

I work on sites across the UK with different non-domestic gas setups, I never have to deal with anything upstream of our particular equipment so no meters etc. Tightness testing involves just the pipework on our equipment which in total is usually around 2 metres of 2" tube. Isolation valve is present for isolating it from the main.

Now, usually we have mains supply pressure around 21mbar, but there are some outliers that need to use gas boosters because of flow problems. The pressures vary, but the highest I have seen is 80mbar. This pressure is only present when our equipment is started, it triggers the booster. It goes straight to the gas valves so in effect the whole system is at this 80mbar pressure, no reducers.

Where I'm unsure is what tightness test to apply. Normally we would use IGEM/UP/1B, but in the booster example our OP is 80mbar so we can't use that. IGE/UP/1A only goes up to <40mbar on OP so that is out as well. As far as I can tell 1C is just for meter installs and not for downstream.

I queried this with my office and got the "everyone before you did it this way" response but I just want to check. Any ideas?

Are you commercially gas safe ?

Yes, incinerators. I put my number in when I registered but I think it takes time to go through.

Think your missing a few numbers off it

As there 6-7 numbers long Not 5

Sorry to say your working out of scope

Get your works to put you through your tt and install course

As atm your allowed to work on your equipment that’s it the gas line you can’t touch tbh you could even argue you shouldn’t be installing them without a few more qualifications

But to answer your questions up1/1a

What’s your equipment rated to pressure wise incoming ?

Is that so? My works are under the impression that so long as we work after the isolation valve to our machinery (so technically not the site installation, our machinery) then we are ok, is that incorrect? I suppose treating it as one big appliance. Anything before that valve is not for us to interfere with.

As for install we don't do that, we have contractors. Our only job is working on the burners/valves/controls and line after the mentioned isolator in a service/repair capacity.

The gas valves are rated to maximum inlet 500mbar, they are double solenoid combined regulator/valve.

you connecting to the gas line i could understand if it was already connected and your just setting it up etc

i would say you atleast need your install and testing qualification even if your just working on your kit

@Last Plumber any advice ?

as for testing pressures they will be in up1a/up1 pg 10 in 1a

Thanks for that.

Here is a crude drawing which may explain better than I can. Not included all controls etc, just wanted to illustrate the dividing line between what we class as theirs and ours.

PhotoPictureResizer_190815_200739384_crop_3688x2420.jpg

correct from the iso is your plant / equipment / remit

if you break into the gas line on your appliance / kit still going to need to either make sure its safe (your fine with this as your qualification covers this) and test the install if lets say you install a new gas / reg valve also purge the supply depending on where its located in the chain

so i would say at a min Gas installation pipework (ICPN1), Pipework testing and purging (TPCP1a) this would enable to install and correctly test and sign off from the iso valve forward into your plant

in my opinion best people to ask is gas safe
[automerge]1565897972[/automerge]
do you have igems up1 -1a if not send me your email address in a pm and will fire them over to you

Last edited:
your more than welcome if you get a response ask them to email you it over in writing and keep us updated :)

I'll get in touch with them. I have the documents thanks.

Your help is much appreciated.

Looking at what you have said up to now, I would expect you to have IGE/UP1 and whatever covers the commercial appliances you work on.

You should also check your insurance (just a thought if you're self employed) to make sure they cover industrial gas installations and equipment. I have come across a few over the years who say they cover commercial gas/Plumbing/Heating but that is not the same as industrial process.

Reply to Tightness testing a boosted system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock