Search the forum,

Discuss Tightening the connectors on a vented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

2 things if that's ok?

Firstly what do most people use to tighten the connectors on a vented cylinder? the insulation is so thick the connector is in a tunnel of approx 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep so impossible to get a spanner in there without removing loads of insulation? I may have to drain the cylinder again as I have a weeping connector, I thought about using a socket on the connector but obviously now there is a pipe connected I can't.

Secondly the joint was leaking to a point that it soaked a hand towel I left underneath it overnight for me to continue this morning but it looks like the leak has stopped? I used Thernox Jointing compound could this have warmed and sealed overnight or am I being too hopeful!

A normal spanner but angled towards me so only half the jaws are contacting

And no needs removing and inspecting / tighting more

Thanks for the reply, I have tried a selection of 5 spanners that will fit and none of them can reach that far into the void, I have much more blue insulation on this cylinder compared to my old one, I guess I will drain down clean and refit with a deep socket if still no luck then I will have to chip away at the insulation!

Cut some of the insulation tapering outwards from the fitting.
If it is compression joint and with standard threads, use a compression connector or elbow fitting to compress the olive. Make certain fitting same distance onto pipe as cylinder fitting!
Then just paste the olive and tighten onto cylinder using an open spanner.
You could remove a round piece of insulation from around the fitting and then push it back in later, if you really have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tightening the connectors on a vented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I was hoping to replace an old system boiler with a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 627 system boiler, thats the one with the diverter valve so no need for zone valves, controling it with a V-Smart and a VR10. I've spoken to Vaillant Tech and they said you cannot use the VR10 with a vented...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures I need to replace the cylinder because it is leaking and I am not able to find anyone who is comfortable to work on this this because it is barrel steel - Has anyone worked on this kind of...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock