Search the forum,

Discuss Tight Fit For Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All.
Got bit of a head scratcher, for me, but no doubt you have come across problem hundreds of times.
I got to insert a length of copper pipe between the bath tap connectors & isolation valves. Not normally a problem as the copper pipe on the mains feed has some give in it so you just bend them down a bit until pipe slips into the joints.
This will be ok on one pipe but a problem on the hot tap. I have a 22 mm feed coming up from kitchen, then a 90 bend and about 200 mm from that the solder joint with feed up to tap. Because of the pipe coming up from kitchen there is hardly any give in the pipe so I cannot push it down by more than 5 mm. Not really sure but I think about 10mm of pipe goes into each compression joint so I cannot see how I can get the extra 15mm to slip connecting pipe into joints.
I can only think of 2 ways, one is to loosen the tap, slip pipe in and re-tighten tap. The other way is to just slightly lift bath to slip pipe in joints then lower down. As you can gather I want to work with solid copper pipe not flexies. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Not a lot of choice. After getting the pipe cutting exact length, slacken the tap off and try it all together to see if it works. If it does, then do any soldered or compression joints, out of place if you can and then you just have the easy task to fit it all together making sure tap is sealed to bath.
Or lift the bath slightly up for final connect up, - but that is rarely an option if bath is already fitted
You can get slip fittings for this, if you have the space, but I have never needed one for a bath tap repipe

Last edited:
If its a straight piece of pipe can you not use a slip coupling....regards Turnpin:smiley2:

slip coupling i was in a plumbing suppliers in wilmslow and they did not know what a slip coupling was

slip coupling i was in a plumbing suppliers in wilmslow and they did not know what a slip coupling was

crikey, you can make one n a pinch with a coupling and round file.

I know you are keen to use all copper and I understand why you want to avoid flexi connectors but there is a middle way. You can use plastic pipe (Like John Guest Speed-fit) for the last run of pipe, just between your copper feed and the tap. This way you can choose to join copper to plastic with either push-fit or compression fittings, using the correct pipe liner of course. It will have enough flex to get it in.

The work will still be reliable if properly installed and it will be hidden under the bath so aesthetics are less of a concern.

Personally I'd just make a slip coupling with a 22mm end feed coupling and my trusty Swiss Army knife to shave/file the pipe stop out but you won't have problems using the method I just described with a short length of plastic tube.

Thanks for you replies & help. Sorry not replied sooner but not been on the computer hardly at all.
In the end it turned out ok. Made the S bends on the 2 pipes and they fitted nicely & I was able to do the nuts up. Just by lifting side of bath just 10 mm I can get the 2 pipes into place.Have not connected them as yet, got to put in the waste & overflow.
Got a ? about the waste fitting in another post.
Again thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tight Fit For Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock