Search the forum,

Discuss Tight compression fitting in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Trying to get the 3 port valve off so I can get on with changing from Y plan to S plan. Problem is one of the compression treads will not come free. And being sods law it is the one feeding into the DHW tank. Have tried brute force with 2 large spanners, tried heating it, and freezing it and penetrating oil. I do not want to use extensions on the spanners as when I use them now the joint into the DHW cylinder flexes!
Any others ideas gratefully excepted.šŸ˜€

Thanks for the prompt replies. The offending nut is B in the attached photo. Am loathe to try to undo the cylinder connection, A, as the locking ring is buried deep in the foam insulation and I have fears if it is tight I could break the cylinder connection.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 16
It will come off try tighten it a smidge then Undo

Take head off valve so you can get some grips on it to hold against yourself
Tried that as much as possible. Ended up grinding it off, is nothing simple. Am amazed top exit did not leak as O ring was loose, very loose. Managed to slide it off the pipework by hand. Can only think the copious amount of Boss White that had been applied, by original installer, was doing a good job.

Reply to Tight compression fitting in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hello All, My gas engineer did a first annual service in August. We've had new rads fitted and its time to add inhibitor and check the Greenstar Magnafilter. So I've added inhibitor through a rad and have isolated the magnafilter. Try as I might to remove the top of the filter to access the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing some radiators and using new fittings. Most radiator valves now come with a compression interface rather than a union interface to the radiator tail. It seems to me that it would be rather difficult, if not impossible, to remove a radiator at a later date for decorating when...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks there is a blockage. She stated she has tried various shop boought unblockers but nothing worked.... I went there and gained access to downstairs to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock