Search the forum,

Discuss “Ticking” motorised valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Getting a high pitched “ticking” noise ( I can’t hear it, but the wife can) from the motorised heating/water control valve. Is this normal?

As I typed this, I realised I can check it by turning off the hot water / heating one at a time and see if the telltale moves.

Answers would still be appreciated tho .

I haven’t heard it obviously but sometimes the toothed bar or motor cog has a tooth or two missing and it can continuously slip giving a clicking/pinging/ticking type noise!

If it’s that then it needs a new motor at best or new head.

Something to start with anyway!

If you have to ask, then you don't have it.
replies like that are as good as a chocolate tea pot. I do like supercilious bastards on fora. If you cant be helpful, or at least mildly amusing, you are a waste of space.
I am sure I have the skill set, however the knowledge on this particular activity may be lacking. Hopefully others are more forthcoming than you. If this is your approach to customers, may your business be short lived. :p :p

If your valve is the type where you can remove the head unit, comprising the gearbox and motor, then get a new head to match yours. Note some motorised valves allow removal of head without draining down, some don't. Wiring from head unit connects with terminala in junction box which should be close by. Simply note which colour wire goes where by looking at old cable wires already in situ. Your new head will come with 1m of cable.
Safety first. Ensure junction box is isolated electrically before diving in. Use a multimeter or proximity tester to ensure safe before working. Should be a fused switch somewhere to isolate this. Change each wire in turn so you dont lose the plot. It usually looks like a rat's nest in there. Lots of vids on youtube on changing heads. Just not which type you have and drain down if needed.
Note gearbox might have failed due to stiff valve, so bear in mind that a whole new valve might be needed.
Work safe. Test your elec tester first.

Bgmvsp-23.

Sorry for above ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have checked, by altering the controller, and the tell-tale moves to all three positions, it is just that it ticks.

Last edited:
replies like that are as good as a chocolate tea pot. I do like supercilious bastards on fora. If you cant be helpful, or at least mildly amusing, you are a waste of space.
I am sure I have the skill set, however the knowledge on this particular activity may be lacking. Hopefully others are more forthcoming than you. If this is your approach to customers, may your business be short lived. :p :p

Gosh .... not very grateful are you ......

dead easy to swap if its that bad but its working

I always encourage anonymous people on the internet to work on electrics.

Aaaaaaaaand guess what? Everyone is telling you the same thing: to replace the valve head. Please use your "skill set" which you are sure you have. If not, follow Offgridman's advice

And don't touch anything or do anything that you are not competent to touch.

There. This supercilious chocolate tea pot has just repeated the same message twice.

Ps. Apparently 2 people found my comment amusing

I always encourage anonymous people on the internet to work on electrics.
Aaaaaaaaand guess what? Everyone is telling you the same thing: to replace the valve head. Please use your "skill set" which you are sure you have. If not, follow Offgridman's advice
And don't touch anything or do anything that you are not competent to touch.
There. This supercilious chocolate tea pot has just repeated the same message twice.
Ps. Apparently 2 people found my comment amusing
Thank you for your considered response. As I am sure you must have read my first post :p. You will have noticed that I didn’t ask how to replace the valve head, just whether the “ticking” was normal? If not, how to test it, although I believed, subject to confirmation, that I had figured out how to test it! You have not answered, or confirmed whether it can be tested easily or not, but as others have stated, it still seems to be working, albeit with this noise. :D
You would not have known that I have been a cable manufacturer/ installer for 45 odd years, so understand electrics fairly well although am not, nor have ever needed to be part P certified. :)
You would also not have known that we have insurance that covers this part and the replacement therof, but as I was only asking if it could be easily tested, this information was superfluous.:eek:
Your statement about not having the skill was an interesting one as, without knowing a test method, neither you, nor I, could judge whether I had the required skill level, or not. :p

As it appears from the above comments that it should be replaced, I will call out HomeCare and ask them to replace it, however I cannot say that I am confident of their “skill level” either, as they have, in the past, forgotten to solder up solder joints. :eek:

Could be one of two things;

Electrical fault, bad solenoid, loose connection ect...

Plumbing fault, inside that particular motorised valve there's an arm which controls the direction of flow which has a rubber like ball on the end.

if its 'ticking' it's possibly the flow of heating water pushing past either an arm which has started to lose its strength or something loose inside the body.

Turn your heating off and keep the cylinder / hw running, after 20 mains check the pipe which comes from port A to see if its as hot as port B

If it is the same temperature, I would change the valve as its letting by

Drayton mid position head. Like for like wiring. Take head off first tho to check the spindle moves freely... Only left and right a fraction on these valves. Quick release black lever to take off.

Reply to “Ticking” motorised valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock