Search the forum,

Discuss Ticking in washing machine when draining sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AFB2301

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what might be happening here.

Kitchen is situated in a block of flats, with a common waste stack. When draining the sink (which drains into the common stack) there had previously been an issue with a knocking noise which turned out to be PVC pipe expansion. This was resolved by installing insulation.

Now there is a new noise which is a very loud metallic sounding ticking noise which sounds like it's coming from the washing machine (empty washing machine) which happens as water is draining. As background info, it's an integrated washing machine that also drains via the common stack. Earlier on in the week there was an issue with the washing machine encountering an error due to overloading, and this ticking has been happening every since, but this may just be a coincidence. Any ideas gratefully received!

Edit to add: no water detected in washing machine or underneath - ie, it doesn't seem like a leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it happen with only fairly warm water going down waste pipes? Any plastic waste pipes are better not tight against timber or plasterboard etc.
I would have the washing machine waste outlet hose disconnected first to see later if noise still there. If noise then has disappeared, it is something to do with the machine. You sometimes got to try to rule out things.
Some soil pipes have an air admittance valve and I suppose it could make a noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ticking in washing machine when draining sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am installing a sink in utility room. Washing machine waste already exists and is the verical pipe with the flexib pipe from the machine poked down the top and a with a u bend at the bottow going directly to outside drain. Is it OK to put a tee joint into the verical pipe and join the sink...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just moved the washing machine into the garage and it will not drain. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I have installed the waste? The washing machine is only a month old and was working fine this morning before re-positioned. I put an 1100mm hoorizontal run at around...
Replies
Views
Need to plumb in a new washing machine. The room has a sink and toilet one one side, and at the other end of the room, enough space for washing machine and dryer to sit next to eachother. The main waste stack is right next to where the machine will sit So, I need about 5m of copper pipe routed...
Replies
Views
Hello, purchased a house in February this year and for a few weeks, noticed a loud banging noise which sounds like it is coming from under my sink, but happens when no water is running. I think it could be when my neighbour is either running water or maybe using a washing machine. House is an...
Replies
Views
Hi, Installing 2 new bathrooms, property only had 1 bathroom and the waste went into a cast iron soil stack which has now been replaced. I really don't want to notch the joist to get the waste out. I was thinking can I run the waste connected together to the outside in 40mm? So the bath...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock