Search the forum,

Discuss Thread Locking Glue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I need to remove a shower cartridge but there is a centre piece to it which is threaded and comes out, instead of turning the entire cartridge.

I read up on loctite 243 but it says the thread can still be undone with hand tools.

I need something that literally sets solid and doesn't undo.

Any ideas?

Well, typically with tools anything can be undone, but 243 is medium strength.

Does the thread locker need to seal against water also?

If so, can try Loctite 577, it's superb at thread locking.

Loctite 620 has a lot of strength too.

Another high strength thread locker is 270.

Think they are referring to a sharp wack on the spanner to undo which most if not all will undo with, any temperature involved?

I need to remove a shower cartridge but there is a centre piece to it which is threaded and comes out, instead of turning the entire cartridge.

I read up on loctite 243 but it says the thread can still be undone with hand tools.

Any ideas?
Trying to picture this, are you sure there is not a specific tool that is used to unscrew the outside body of the cartridge rather than the part you are currently using to try and unscrew the unit. Just a thought as obvisouly can't see what you are seeing.

Trying to picture this, are you sure there is not a specific tool that is used to unscrew the outside body of the cartridge rather than the part you are currently using to try and unscrew the unit. Just a thought as obvisouly can't see what you are seeing.
Nah, my boss had the same valve not too long ago and the manufacturers said this is the only way - stupid I know

solder it sorted
Not sure it'll be strong enough :/ plus I have to screw it back in while the solder is still hot enough before it sets and it's a bugger to screw back in quickly

Not sure it'll be strong enough :/ plus I have to screw it back in while the solder is still hot enough before it sets and it's a bugger to screw back in quickly

spindled if so dont :) and epoxy it in

Any ideas?

Not sure if your sorted or not but I've had a thought.
If the center section that is unthreading is not pressure retaining, drill a 3 or 4mm hole into were the threads intersect about 4mm deep. Then push the shank of the drill into that hole and it will lock the threads while you screw the whole unit out.

Not sure if your sorted or not but I've had a thought.
If the center section that is unthreading is not pressure retaining, drill a 3 or 4mm hole into were the threads intersect about 4mm deep. Then push the shank of the drill into that hole and it will lock the threads while you screw the whole unit out.

Very interesting idea!!! Not been sent back to the job yet. If all else fails I'll def give that a go.. Cheers mache ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thread Locking Glue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock