Search the forum,

Discuss Thread for thermostatic valve handle has worn away totally. Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I need to remove the handle so that I may remove the back plate to the shower valve so I can adjust and replace the thermostatic cartridge. However the thread on the grub screw to remove the diverter/water flow handle has worn away and now the accompanying allen key just keeps turning without unscrewing the grub screw. How do I get the handle off without having to break it? The photo shows the handle removed from the thermostatic mixer. It had a grub screw thread which was fine and so I was able to remove the handle easily.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
regards
Higgs

IMAG0739-mod.jpg

IMAG0742.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a cheap set of imperial Allen keys, you may get lucky and find one that works.

Longshot but buy some cheap set of allen bits , the type that fit in a screwdriver , carefully tap in the one that fits best ... good luck you may need it lol

Hi
thanks for the link above however the thinnest one is 4mm. Do you know where I might purchase an even thinner set as I think 4 mm might be slightly too big?
Google easy-outs or easi-outs

Longshot but buy some cheap set of allen bits , the type that fit in a screwdriver , carefully tap in the one that fits best . good luck you may need it lol
Nice idea, maybe a cheap set of normal Allen keys and force one in with a hammer, most cheap sets round off anyway.

Silver keys seem to be softer than Black in my experience.

Nice idea, maybe a cheap set of normal Allen keys and force one in with a hammer, most cheap sets round off anyway.

Yep or any key with the 90 degree cut off , it will tap in easier than a key . As we know once any screw is rounded off you just have to be very lucky

If you have a file with the tang end just small enough to fit in the Allen key hole, force it in and then turn the file. The tang end is usually hard enough to cut into brass or stainless steel. However, be careful in forcing it in and in turning the file. They are hard but brittle. Wrap all in a piece of cloth in case it shatters.

Last resort if a set of Allen keys fail hammer in a torx bit (star shaped)

Normally works

Are you sure your removing the right one. The Allen key for that is under the rod that's on the handle

Are you sure your removing the right one. The Allen key for that is under the rod that's on the handle
Yes the handle above is identical to the handle I removed below. The grub screw is on the opposite side to the rod on the handle.

Thanks for all the replies. The response has been quite a surprise so thanks again to everyone. I'll try in the next couple of days everything suggested and update as soon as I can.

Last resort if a set of Allen keys fail hammer in a torx bit (star shaped)

Normally works
What he said. First resort tho'.
Just to add that before trying to unscrew use a pin punch small enough to bottom in the hex. Give a few sharp knocks to shock the threads then heat the area with a hair dryer/hot air gun. Proceed with torx bit.

What he said. First resort tho'.
Just to add that before trying to unscrew use a pin punch small enough to bottom in the hex. Give a few sharp knocks to shock the threads then heat the area with a hair dryer/hot air gun. Proceed with torx bit.
Ok thanks I'll do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thread for thermostatic valve handle has worn away totally. Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock