Search the forum,

Discuss Thorn Housewarmer S Gas Fire & Back Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I wondered if anyone could explain how the gas fire ignites and gets its gas supply on the Thorn Housewarmer S Back Boiler & Fire combination. I'm happy with lighting the back boiler pilot and firing it up, but not clear on the fire i.e. is it electric ignition or does it have its own pilot etc? I know these are now extremely old appliances, but any basic guidance would help. Thanks.

Perhaps I should have emphasised in my initial post that I have absolutely no intention of working on the appliance, I am simply curious as the boiler ignition method is obvious, but I don’t really understand what ignites the fire or whether it has its own pilot. The dial on the side turns the flame on and increases it if necessary, but there’s no resistance or indication of ignition when the dial is turned and it was this that led me to query how it ignites.

Perhaps I should have emphasised in my initial post that I have absolutely no intention of working on the appliance, I am simply curious as the boiler ignition method is obvious, but I don’t really understand what ignites the fire or whether it has its own pilot. The dial on the side turns the flame on and increases it if necessary, but there’s no resistance or indication of ignition when the dial is turned and it was this that led me to query how it ignites.
so youve just moved in and never used the appliance before

Yes exactly, and to be fair it’s working fine, but as previously mentioned I just can’t get my head around the gas fire ignition process. I suppose getting it serviced ASAP would be the best option as I could get the engineer to explain things to me at the same time and get peace of mind that it’s all okay. To be honest though I intend to replace it almost immediately as its clearly ancient.

Yes exactly, and to be fair it’s working fine, but as previously mentioned I just can’t get my head around the gas fire ignition process. I suppose getting it serviced ASAP would be the best option as I could get the engineer to explain things to me at the same time and get peace of mind that it’s all okay. To be honest though I intend to replace it almost immediately as its clearly ancient.
depends on the definition of working fine

How an older gas burner set works.

ok, here we go. A spark ignites the pilot light, you hold the igniter button down while the pilot light warms up the thermocoupler, this creates a small electrical difference between the two ends, one warm one cool. This electrical difference is an elecric magnet and holds the main gas valve open allowing you to then turn on and turn up the main burner set.
It fails safe if the pilot blows out it cools down, no electrical difference gas valve shuts down
Hope this helps Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

Bit old, but, for reference: the Housewarmer S radiant panels at the front have a TINY pilot light, like the flame of a gas lighter as used for cigarettes etc. set to minimum. It has no thermocouple and usually blows out, leaving gas flowing, but as the appliance is connected to a chimney, this gas hopefully goes straight up. IIRC, it is immediately below the underside of the radiant panels between the joint between the 3rd and 4th panels.

The pilot for the radiant panels can be isolated by a quarter-turn black slotted screw that is visible but hidden in plain sight. Probably, whoever last serviced it will have turned the pilot off, for obvious reasons.

In normal use, you would open the gas using the black dial on the right of the wooden casing and hope it will light from the pilot, then you realise the pilot has gone out and hopefully you'll have a match or lighter to hand. It is possible to fill the room with gas as the fire relies on human intelligence and not a safety device.

The knob numbered 1-6 and the push button ignition are near the floor under the appliance and these are for the boiler itself. The boiler has a permanent pilot (with thermocouple flame failure device).

Reply to Thorn Housewarmer S Gas Fire & Back Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock