Search the forum,

Discuss This weeks winner of cheeky *** award . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
As per title , went to change a fill valve this afternoon, ok just round the corner about 10 mins or less , took my gear in , vact out the cistern , put a fluidmaster in , sorted the half and full flush out . Tested , put gear back in van , probably just less than half hour .
Guy says how much so I said £50 quid including a £16/£17 valve .

He said he thought it was too expensive and it only took 10 mins !!!

Sharp intake of breath from yours truly and a violent shake of head .....

Unbelievable

As per title , went to change a fill valve this afternoon, ok just round the corner about 10 mins or less , took my gear in , vact out the cistern , put a fluidmaster in , sorted the half and full flush out . Tested , put gear back in van , probably just less than half hour .
Guy says how much so I said £50 quid including a £16/£17 valve .

He said he thought it was too expensive and it only took 10 mins !!!

Sharp intake of breath from yours truly and a violent shake of head ...

Unbelievable
I think that is an absolute bargain mate. Should me move this to a private area though. Just incase?;);)

Trouble is the merchants rip us on on valves, but, even if the valve had been £8... it's still very reasonable. As for 10 mins...?

Yesterday a prospective customer said the plumber he used to use used to charge £50 callout. I said, well, that isn't unreasonable, though personally I'd expect to do some work for that money, not just turn up. He seemed okay with that and I said I'd give him a price for the job when I'd looked into the options for his problem.

I suppose a tradesman is ALWAYS expensive for the time taken because, from an employed customer's viewpoint, they have to work most of the week to pay us for just one day on site. What they don't see is how much work goes on that we don't get paid for, so I do understand why they feel that way. So I agree - leave this page public.

I suppose a tradesman is ALWAYS expensive for the time taken because, from an employed customer's viewpoint, they have to work most of the week to pay us for just one day on site. What they don't see is how much work goes on that we don't get paid for, so I do understand why they feel that way. So I agree - leave this page public.
Totally agree Ric. In my game some companies charge £114 - 120 for the first hour which is a lot more than a lot of people earn in a day or a day and a half.

I did have one today actually. To be fair an absolute gem of a bloke. But I turned up to do a service and he said "you are draining down and adding more inhibitor aren't you?" I did laugh to myself, then booked him in for next month.:p;)

Many customers do not consider they are paying for an entire service from their plumber, - they don't think of the travel time, van cost, collecting materials for stock costs, etc, plus your know how from training and experience.
If you know the complaining customer has, or has had a job, then ask them what roughly per hour their wages were. I don't think that is too cheeky to do once a customer crosses the line of saying you are over charging. Then mention your business costs.
I know one ex customer who has a very highly paid job.
He said a plumbers earnings should be £80 - £100 per day.
A lot of people definitely still look at plumbers as being uneducated. I am still fuming about a lady saying that a young relative of mine could " always be a plumber if he doesn't get educated"

Best is when you go to do one job. I.e a service or leak. And then they start reeling off loads of jobs that need doing and are annoyed when you say you havent got the time to do them today and will have to be booked in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to This weeks winner of cheeky *** award . in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock