Search the forum,

Discuss This 2025 ban on gas boilers in new builds..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Sorry if this has already been covered but how badly do you guys (and gals) think this will affect the gas industry in terms of work, wages etc? Some of my mates aren't overly worried, some are. 50/50 split I would say.

Depends on how much new build work you plan on doing in the future, there are if it's true 25 million homes in the UK the majority of which have gas CH (95%) which will still require servicing, repair and and eventual replacement.

Typical government,

Heads up there arses with no real investigation into utilising the supply network with alt or mixed fuel.

Maybe we should all go green and have solar pv/thermal panels & electric heating. Oooopssssss....

They buggered that one up with feed in tariffs and no real concept on how to implement correctly, aka fields & fields full of solar down here in Cornwall with the farmer sorted, Kerr-ching...

I know what I’m about to say is not about gas but from an article I read some time ago the government is suggesting oil fired appliances will be rolled out by a certain time as well, some countries in Europe have already banned the use of their grade of heating oil. I can understand the reasoning behind it but what you have to remember is if the government tries to enforce this then there will be a large % of households nationwide that have no primary heat source, it would cost the government billions if not more nationwide to get each dwelling complying, especially when you take into the fact that the majority of house owners could not afford to change over systems. They use what they do because it’s the only option of fuel. I don’t think this is much to worry about right now.

Even if the gas work starts to dry up , but it wont .
There’s thousands of houses to be built in the next few years , tradesmen will be needed in other trades.

My local council ( kirklees ) plans to build 31,000 new houses , no doubt other councils will follow .

The local authority that I work for are putting more properties on gas and ripping out electric heaters and tanks.

Also they planning to build a few thousand houses each year.

Had to laugh in the statement they said they are going to ban Gas boilers but not gas hobs as people enjoy cooking on them too much. You can really see a developer putting in gas mains for just hobs!

They need to be banning Gas Fires, Water heaters (You can still buy a multi point with a Perm Pilot still!) and other inefficient gas appliances before condensing boilers. Seeming most boilers are 89%+ efficient it seems daft to start banning them when there are many other appliances that need to be gone first.

Also can you imagine the noise of all the heat pumps on a new build estate :rolleyes:

Makes total sense, we have a gas national grid which is worth billions, why on earth literally devalue it to nothing, whilst increasing the strain on the electricity grid requiring shed loads of investment!

Hydrogen is a win win, a) current gas engineers wouldn't loose their jobs and would just need some extra training b) if we use renewables as electricity source for hydrogen generation, it can be used to smooth out the renewables supply peaks & troughs, must be cheaper to store hydrogen than buy loads of batteries! c) its more effective than heat source pumps imo in most real life uk situations d) it helps reduce strain on electricity grid e) we still have a valuable gas national grid...

Sorry if this has already been covered but how badly do you guys (and gals) think this will affect the gas industry in terms of work, wages etc? Some of my mates aren't overly worried, some are. 50/50 split I would say.
That is all so much crap, there are
cohorts of ng enhanced hydrogen projects on line shortly which are financed by some very big boys...such as Ineos Chlor and Peel Ports combined ...and others
all based around chlorine production ...which produces hydrogen as a by product and often goes to atmoshere which now will enhance the existing
ng supply ...I know I have been to some of the meetings.
The trick is using wasted energy produced off peak by renewables to produce and store hydrogen as a battery then feed it into the ng gas
resulting in a cleaner burn
happy days
centralheatking

Makes total sense, we have a gas national grid which is worth billions, why on earth literally devalue it to nothing, whilst increasing the strain on the electricity grid requiring shed loads of investment!

Hydrogen is a win win, a) current gas engineers wouldn't loose their jobs and would just need some extra training b) if we use renewables as electricity source for hydrogen generation, it can be used to smooth out the renewables supply peaks & troughs, must be cheaper to store hydrogen than buy loads of batteries! c) its more effective than heat source pumps imo in most real life uk situations d) it helps reduce strain on electricity grid e) we still have a valuable gas national grid...
Which meetings did you go to
recently Mr Pickwick ?

A hydrogen / gas mix to power a boiler will probably happen one day , but IMO a 100% hydrogen boiler is light years away .
Bradford Shity will have more chance winning the champions league first .

A hydrogen / gas mix to power a boiler will probably happen one day , but IMO a 100% hydrogen boiler is light years away .
Bradford Shity will have more chance winning the champions league first .
yes its only going to be a mixture produced in manchester at the start ..at a Peel Ports Unit .100%
h2 has no,place in domestic homes. centralheatking

Why did the government allocate licences for fracking then if they want to break away from gas usage don't make a lot of sense really does it....regards Turnpin;)
A lot of government policy is dis jointed...the fracking thing
worked well in USA but we dont need it...the uk nat gas and oil reserves in the North Sea area have just been almost tripled in their life expectancy this last week. Cuadrilla the fracking outfit are really looking for an excuse to back out in Lancashire to satisfy their hungry investors ..in fact they will be happy to stopped

A lot of government policy is dis jointed...the fracking thing
worked well in USA but we dont need it...the uk nat gas and oil reserves in the North Sea area have just been almost tripled in their life expectancy this last week. Cuadrilla the fracking outfit are really looking for an excuse to back out in Lancashire to satisfy their hungry investors ..in fact they will be happy to stopped

Fraking is big in the Permian basin in USA, massive oil/gas find in Surrey and IoW . So cant see gas going nowhere for few years yet. Besides they said this gas to be fazed out by 2016 on new build lol

yes its only going to be a mixture produced in manchester at the start ..at a Peel Ports Unit .100%
h2 has no,place in domestic homes. centralheatking

Completely agree, hydrogen is far to dangerous as a 100% alternative. Even at a lesser mixture, the carbon footprint will be to high to generate on a massive scale. As an island the U.K. is generating more and more windborne electrickery.

The climate change emergency is gaining momentum now and fossil fuel alternatives will start to emerge sooner rather than later

And I’m all for it

Reply to This 2025 ban on gas boilers in new builds..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock