Search the forum,

Discuss Thinking of upgrading to Evohome but getting easily confused in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I like the idea of using smart TRV's so was originally looking at Hive, but I would really prefer to have local control rather than an app that requires internet access, and I need something simple that the wife can use. I started looking at Evohome as I like the look of the control panel, but I'm getting a little confused now as there seem to be lots of bit and pieces to the Evohome solution. For a start they have different models of smart TRV's, HR91 and HR92, I like the idea of having a temperature display but I think the HR92's have been knocking around for a while now, so was wondering if the HR91's are a newer model, but they don't seem to have a temperature display. Also would be good to have a manual boost function a bit like on the Drayton Wiser valves so the wife can turn up a room using the TRV if she needs to, I have no idea yet if they Honeywell TRVs support a manual override.

Then as I go down the rabbit hole I started to wonder what to do with my hard wired room stat in the living room - if I replaced that I would need some way of closing the circuit in order to call for heat, was wondering if the Evohome room stat can close a relay to make that circuit, but then I'm thinking it might make sense to use the wireless room stat and change the boiler controller so as not to use that hard wire any more, but then I'd have to look at changing the DHW cylinder sensor to an Evohome one... so what started as a simple idea is all getting a bit complicated now.

So I'm thinking to start with to just get the TRV's (although not sure which model) and the control panel - is there anything else I need like a hub or bridge something?

I like Evohome and recently did a system like yours.
I too found it quite confusing but all OK in the end.
HR91 is just a basic version without display (or boost I think) but you can use controller or phone so don't see the problem and personally like the cleaner look.
The new controller is Wi-Fi enabled and doesn't require a hub.
I would get the hot water kit and use the controller as main room stat.
I would disconnect the existing thermostat in the wiring center and remove it or get wall mount for controller and power it with the thermostat wire.

For it to be worthwhile doing at all I think you should have heads on every radiator

Made a bit of progress since my post, bought a complete set from someone off eBay for about half price, controller, dhw kit, and 11 x hr92s. Have got 8 of them installed already so I can shut down upstairs during the day when I'm working in our office downstairs. Need to change 3 valve bodies so will be doing that next weekend. Will order a wall mounting kit and install the transformer up in the airing cupboard by the wiring centre then run DC down the existing wires to the room stat where I'll place the controller. Will leave the dhw on the old controller for now as the wiring centre looks like spaghetti junction, all good fun though. :)

So I've got this all running now, I changed the valve bodies and have 10 HR92s installed with the hot water kit. I also have the wall mounting kit but haven't installed that yet so still running the evotouch in it's table stand.

I have an old Honeywll sundial wiring centre in my airing cupboard so basically replaced the room stat and cylinder stat connections with BDR91s and left the rest of the wiring alone. The programmer is still wired in but I just set the heating and water to constant so evohome can control the schedule.

Reply to Thinking of upgrading to Evohome but getting easily confused in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock