Search the forum,

Discuss thermostatic or manual valves for a heated towel rail? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmc008

Hi all,

what is the best choice of valves for centrally heated towel rails these days? I've read manual valves are better than thermostatic somewhere, but that may be out-dated advice. Is there a specific reason not to use thermostatic, as they should save energy?

aside from that, whilst the central heating system is drained to take out the old radiator, is it safe to run my oil fired worcester heatslave 15/19 [pseudo-combi] to provide hot water for the household?

thanks in anticipation!

thanks for the advice.

have you any ideas about whether running a worcester heatslave with the CH system drained may damage the boiler?
cheers

fit trv, save money and complies with regs.

i have fitted a few recently sub contracting were the have specified manual valves on towel radiators on small 2 bedroom house with a combi, leaving the towel rail as "bypass" for heating,

is this now not to regs, thermostatic rad valves on all other rads?

Fitted plenty of towel rails with decorative valves and Building Inspector has never commented.

Fitted plenty of towel rails with decorative valves and Building Inspector has never commented.

I've not yet come across a building inspector in my "plumbing career" but from what I gather they've not much idea as to what is within regulations and what is breaking them. I suspect they're much more clued up on things like joist sizes, roof support, insulation, etc and have no idea when it comes to electrics, plumbing and renewables.

heated towel rails tend to be low output and a lot of them are used as bathroom rads instead of in addition to the rad so a TRV is never going to be needed to cool it down, a towel rail under 1kw output with a couple of towels on it needs to run full pelt all the time

i cant see the point of a trv on a towel rail the idea is to dry the towel regardles of room temp
usually the towel will cover the trv giving false readings any way
most have very low out puts so fuel economy effect is going to be slight as most are on heat circuit anyway
plus a warm bathroom is a good thing

I never fit TRV's in bathrooms for the simple fact if you sit in a nice hot steaming bath or shower, the steam will prematurely close the valve and who wants to step out to a cold towel / room.

i cant see the point of a trv on a towel rail the idea is to dry the towel regardles of room temp
usually the towel will cover the trv giving false readings any way
most have very low out puts so fuel economy effect is going to be slight as most are on heat circuit anyway
plus a warm bathroom is a good thing

exactly the towels if covering th TRV would cause it to turn off too early, making them useless!

i have fitted a few recently sub contracting were the have specified manual valves on towel radiators on small 2 bedroom house with a combi, leaving the towel rail as "bypass" for heating,

is this now not to regs, thermostatic rad valves on all other rads?

it would be to regs if the room stat is in the same room as the towl rad. It is not always ideal on a towl rad to have a trv but regs require a thermostatic control. Often towl rads are under sized due to space

Hi all,

what is the best choice of valves for centrally heated towel rails these days? I've read manual valves are better than thermostatic somewhere, but that may be out-dated advice. Is there a specific reason not to use thermostatic, as they should save energy?

aside from that, whilst the central heating system is drained to take out the old radiator, is it safe to run my oil fired worcester heatslave 15/19 [pseudo-combi] to provide hot water for the household?

thanks in anticipation!

i use manual as i use them to keep towels warm and not as a heating source

i well designed and balanced system the trvs contribute little imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thermostatic or manual valves for a heated towel rail? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock