Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic bath/shower mixer - water temperature fluctuates hot-cold in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

We've got a problem that I'm hoping someone has some thoughts on. We have a Grohe thermostatic bath/shower mixer in a first-floor bathroom which is fed by a combination boiler. The intsallation has worked fine for around 8 years without problem.

Around 2 months ago the hot water in the shower started to fluctuate between hot and cold - no regulation at all. Eventually, it got tot the point where the water was more cold than hot. At the time this seemed to be straightforward issue and an I replaced the thermostat cartridge in the mixer body. Unfortunately, the problem remained - though it did seem that the water was generally hotter than before but still fluctuating between hot and cold.

At this point I investigated in more depth - I should have done this the first time around!. The hot water in the kitchen, i.e. adjacent to the boiler was constantly hot when measured at the kitchen mixer tap. In the bathroom, the hot water at the wash hand basin was constantly very hot - all seemed good. I take this to mean that there is no issue at the boiler.

With the bath water turned on and the thermostat mixer set to maximum heat then the bath flow was fluctuating between hot and cold.

However, if the cold water in the wash hand basin is turned on then the bath/shower water is warm/hot, i.e. hotter than before but still not regulated. With the wash hand basin cold water turned off then the bath water returns to fluctuating hol/cold water. It seemed to me that this pointed to the non-return valve on the hot water not operating correctly so allowing cold water to feed into the cold water, however, one new non-return valve later the problem remains. This seemed a long shot given that both the cold water and hot water are mains pressure so I didn't think that the hot water would generally be able to feed back into the cold feed.

I'm now stumped as I do not know where else to look - does anyone have any ideas?

It's a Viesmann combination boiler. No other pumps, other than that in the boiler.
[automerge]1589115665[/automerge]
Further investigation leads me to believe that the problem may not be the shower/bath mixer at all. If I measure the hot water temperature at the kitchen mixer tap but with full flow then the temperature of the hot water fluctuates as seen in the bathroom.
I guess this points to a boiler issue - heat exchanger maybe?

Last edited:

Reply to Thermostatic bath/shower mixer - water temperature fluctuates hot-cold in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock