Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostat or zone valve issue? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Last week my central heating developed an issue and I’m struggling to figure out what has caused it. I have a combi boiler with 2 digital thermostats, one in the lounge, the other upstairs main bedroom.

I have a fairly decent knowledge of plumbing and heating but From Last week the when calling for heat, the downstairs stat wouldn’t get the boiler to fire up. The only way I can get the boiler to fire is by having the upstairs stat calling for heat. Now this is where it gets confusing for me. Both stats seem to be controlling there zone valves and they appear to open & close as you’d expect when calling for heat or not. As long as the upstairs stat is calling for heat the downstairs heating works fine and as you’d expect. To the extent that once downstairs has reached the required temperature on the stat it will then turn downstairs heating off.

From the above I’d come to the conclusion that I had a dodgy stat downstairs. I thought before buying a new one, as I can remove my stats from there back plate I would plug the upstairs one in downstairs and expected it to work but it didn’t! This has now left me at a dead end as to what to look at next. Is it possible that the Downstairs stat works to an extent that it can control the valve as it should but for some other reason it can’t ask the boiler to fire up? I don’t know enough about stats and the differences between opening zone valves and asking the boiler to fire. Where does the demand come from to the boiler to ask it to fire, is it the stat or the valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The stat(s) open/shut the valves, the valve actuators control the boiler ie there is a "end switch" in the actuator one side of which is permanently live so when the actuator/valve opens then this end switch closes and fires up the boiler. From what you are saying it looks like that the permanent supply to the D/stairs switch might be "broken" even though the valve is opening/closing. I think the grey wire is permanently live to the switch and the orange wire completes the circuit to the boiler, when closed.

Last edited:
As above the downstairs zone valve head is most likely at fault. Either a permanent live is missing like john said or the end switch is faulty like Shaun said.

Thanks for you input. With it sounding like it’s the valve head I can replace without the need to drain down can’t I? Just a case of removing the broken one and install the new one while leaving the existing valve in place?

Reply to Thermostat or zone valve issue? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock