Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostat or shower pump prob + poss replacment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Looking for a bit of advise before next step.

Moved in earlier this year. House is 4 bed, 1 bathroom 2 ensuites.
Extension has 1 of the ensuites which has a shower pump lovating in the loft above.

I’ve attached a basic,but hopefully clea, diagram of how the shower/pump is plumbed in.

Shower is a mira excell pre 2003

Pump is wickes twin impeller 1.5 bar.

Recently i’ve been having problem with the shower not getting hot, warm-ish but not comfortable enough for a shower. Even when turned right up.

I have 2 questions.

1) Is the problem with my shower the pump (which is quite noisy) or the showers thermostat?
- i’d like to add that the pipe after the pump does seem hot/warm when running.

2) i’d like to replace the pump with something quieter. Looking at the way its plumbed in and installation instructions on other pump models, i get then impression it’s not been done correctly. Can someone confirm if this the case?

Apologies for the long thread, I appreciate you reading and your replies.

631E8D41-884D-4A0D-A076-034BEC8AB997.jpeg

First things first. At that age change the showers thermostatic cartridge to resolve the temp contol issue.
For your pump, its doesn't owe you however if you fit a more powerful one you will need to modify pipework and put in an additional tank in the loft.

To quiet a pump you mount it on as dense a slab of concrete as you can lift into the loft. Also, place it as close to the end of the joists as you can.

Thanks for the reply.

Will chnage the thermostat first and see how that goes.

Re the pump - i was going to keep the same power (1.5 bar) but get a quiter model. A lot of the installation guides i’ve read for other model pumps do have differing pipe work i.e. flange fitted/anti gravity loop, but none mention the need for an additonal tank?

Your hot connection off the vent pipe is wrong , you need the connection via a purpose made connection on the top of the cylinder , or a Essex type flange on the side of the cylinder.
If you have room, put it next to the cylinder not in the loft

Thanks for the reply.

Will chnage the thermostat first and see how that goes.

Re the pump - i was going to keep the same power (1.5 bar) but get a quiter model. A lot of the installation guides i’ve read for other model pumps do have differing pipe work i.e. flange fitted/anti gravity loop, but none mention the need for an additonal tank?

Really need a 50 gall tank

Your hot connection off the vent pipe is wrong , you need the connection via a purpose made connection on the top of the cylinder , or a Essex type flange on the side of the cylinder.
If you have room, put it next to the cylinder not in the loft

Thanks. Looking at other installation guides and what i’ve research, i thought that might be the case. I was concerned re getting a more expensive model to end up voiding the warranty through poor installation set-up.

Those amends might be beyond my diy abilities

I sure i’ve got a 50 gallon tank, will need to double check.

I think the installation was initally a diy job hence the cheap pump.

I have just taken a 20+ year old wickes pump out of my neighbors, I dont know who made them and badged them Wickes but they did ok lol .

Reply to Thermostat or shower pump prob + poss replacment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock