Search the forum,

Discuss thermal store in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

damaan

Hi I have read about thermal store but I don't understand if:
1. Can I use it with a "conventional" boiler and no other form of heat provision?
2. Is it an efficient way to have mains pressure domestic water?
Thanks

Hi I have read about thermal store but I don't understand if:
1. Can I use it with a "conventional" boiler and no other form of heat provision?
2. Is it an efficient way to have mains pressure domestic water?
Thanks

1. Yes. But doesn't make sense to do so.
2. Not with only one heat source.

Expand on what you are looking for and we can point you in the right direction.

I believe that a combi boiler is the best choice for me and my needs BUT I am concerned that, if I ever come to sell the house, the buyers won't be happy. It's all down to lifestyle and I think I am a bit odd (no baths, no hot water unless I take a shower....), but I don't want to make a choice I will pay for in, say, 10 years down the line. So I was trying to find a way to have better pressure showers without going down the unvented option .

had conflicting opinions about pumps: noisy, not good. I think there is too much info out there and it's impossible to get facts and opinions clearly separated from each other. Thanks for any help, anyway.

Good quality stuart turner pump. But I would go unvented cylinder. If pressures allow.

I believe that a combi boiler is the best choice for me and my needs BUT I am concerned that, if I ever come to sell the house, the buyers won't be happy. It's all down to lifestyle and I think I am a bit odd (no baths, no hot water unless I take a shower....), but I don't want to make a choice I will pay for in, say, 10 years down the line. So I was trying to find a way to have better pressure showers without going down the unvented option .

I think you would be well advised to get a GSR guy round for a chat, your needs might suite a combi boiler if you only need a small amount of hot water per day, or you may need something that stores more hot water?

I think the problem is that The OP wants a Combi boiler but long term it isn't suitable for his property as it is multiple bathroom and he doesn't want this to affect any potential resale going forward. Personally I don't think it would put many peoples noses out of joint but from personal experience it can be used as a bargaining tool as more and more people try and get money knocked off a house sale. If I were you my friend I would still be looking at the unvented route if you can accommodate it. You will be more than happy with the resultS. Do not be put off by safety fears, as long as the installing person is competent you have absolutely nothing to worry about

Last edited:
Riley got it spot on: I think combi is fine for me but I don't want to be kicking myself a few years down the line because I spent money replacing boiler and then I've got to reduce sale price! Unfortunately I have no idea of a cost of fitting unvented system. Is it just a matter of replacing my hot water cylinder with a pressurized one? Or do I HAVE to change boiler as well?

You don't have to replace the boiler. The only requirements of an unvented cylinder are the pressure and the flow. If you have that then you should be fine. The other consideration is that you will need to run a minimum of 22 mm pipe from the stopcock to the cylinder site

In 7 to 10 years a new boiler now will be close to end of life.
Any prospective purchaser would be looking to change it, and haggling the sale price whatever the age or type of boiler / hot water source.

You can't predict what a prospective purchaser might want, as above go for the best suitable solution for you now.

The only single heat source that benefits from a Thermal store is a Biomass boiler.

Boiler can stay. Just swap out cylinders, add in safety elements and notify. All by a g3 registered plumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thermal store in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock