Search the forum,

Discuss Thermal store installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

m550344

I recently have installed a thermal store replacing a leaking vented cylinder. It is normal when heating the tank that I can expect overflow into the f&e? I assumed this was the case after reading many threads about the need to ensure existing tank can cope with increased expansion requirements.:)

Err!

Sure a thermal store heats more water, and hot water expands, so you need more space to store the expanded water. Its simple really.

The old expansion allowance was calculated probably for a much smaller cylinder and so less hot water and so less expansion space required.

My question was more around understanding the operational aspect of a thermal store and that it was common for the store to dump hot water into the F&E large amounts of heated water after less than 10 mins of a heating cycle kicking in. I originally went by a F&E tank capacity calculation that I found on a forum, based on cylinder size and no. of radiatiors but have come to the conclusion my existing tank needs replacing as the calculation was flawed, or the existing system venting setup is not correct.:)

I would suggest going on to the Gledhill "Torrent" site and downloading the installation manual. It gives you some clear ideas. Its just that it can take a while for me to explain and they have already done it.

But if you need more specific info please feel free to ask and come back on.

However it should not be venting over into the F &E tank. Probable cause is the vent may be too low.

To give you some ideas:

If you heat water from say 4C to 100C it will expand by about 1/25th in volume. The water in a meter length of pipe if heated the same would expand by 40mm.

Using that as a base measure 40mm is allowed over the cistern water level for every 1 meter height of the system. I.e from the bottom of the heat store to the water level in the F &E cistern.

So if that is 5 meters say, then its 5 x 40mm = 200mm over the water level to the start of where the vent hooks over the cistern. Then add another 150mm so its really 350mm.

Part of the thinking is: Because the water in the F & E cistern is colder than the water in the vent the water levels will be different.

You also need to make sure the vent does not discharge over the ball valve and its end is as high inside the cistern as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
gledhill have specific requirements for installing thermal store not compling with them leads to problems.always read the paperwork.how high above thermal store is f@e tank

Hi, Before getting to involved bend the arm or adjust ball valve so as the level when cold is reduced. The extra volumeand reduced hight gained may help. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal store installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock