Search the forum,

Discuss Thermal store combi boiler, hot water flow rate. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Can anyone tell me the hot water flow rate on a thermal store combi boiler? As opposed. To a 40kw combi that will deliver nearly 16litres per minute. And any recommendations for a good thermal store boiler thanks.

Unless I am misunderstanding your point, I assume you mean a combi boiler with an integrated hot water storage facility behind it all mounted on the wall?

If so, a combi like a Valliant 938 with a shift load cylinder (Valliant’s term not mine) will only deliver hot water at the incoming flow rate. The shift cylinder, if so configured, holds around 1 minutes worth of hot water at a delta T of 35 degrees. The pump in the shift cylinder is to circulate stored hot water not to deliver it.

I am not recommending the Valliant, just using it as an example ( I don’t really like large Combis’).

However, from my experience, again using the Valliant as the example, unless you have a consistent cold water flow at the boiler inlet of at least 23 lpm the boiler won’t perform to specification.

A common issue I come across large properties, where a Combi should never have been installed, is :

The toilet being flushed, hot tap at the basin turned on, then the shower - cold flow to the boiler dropping well below that required for maximum output. Unhappy customer who really wants a “hotel quality” shower.

The only boiler with a thermal store that I know the idiosyncrasies of well is the Vaillant 938. The store volume (shift load cylinder) is 15 litres. With the right inlet flow rates the boiler will deliver 20.5 litres/minute at delta 35 degrees or 13.2 lites/minute at delta 42 degrees.

We use them in externally installed, heated modular units in London coupled to a pumped accumulator and water softener. Very well suited to three storey terraced houses where internal space is at a premium in areas of low pressure and flow.

Others with know better, but I am unconvinced of the benefit of the storage module if you can get the flow to the boiler to allow it to deliver hot water at full capacity for 20 minutes.

The viessmann111 has a 60 litre store the 222 think has 100 litre both give amazing flow rates never fitted the 222 but fitted a couple of 111 and have been very impressed by them

viessmann 111 will give around 18lpm

viessmann 222 with give what you put in eg 25 lpm you get out 25lpm its a good piece of kit

Reply to Thermal store combi boiler, hot water flow rate. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock