Search the forum,

Discuss There must be a leak but can’t think where in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

That's good news really even though it doesn't say much about the longevity of the EV, I think Zilmet pre charge with nitrogen, also I think every external EV installed should have a isolation/drain valve, (I have seen them advertised somewhere) as it makes it a very simple operation to check the pre charge pressure without system drain down, I wonder how many are checked on the annual service?.

That's good news really even though it doesn't say much about the longevity of the EV, I think Zilmet pre charge with nitrogen, also I think every external EV installed should have a isolation/drain valve, (I have seen them advertised somewhere) as it makes it a very simple operation to check the pre charge pressure without system drain down, I wonder how many are checked on the annual service?.
John you are an absolute star.

I didn’t realise there was such a thing as an expansion vessel service valve (I’ve seen loads of external EVs fitted but never seen that valve used). Draining a massive system and losing £30 of inhibitor each time is just painful - just seen one on the Screwfix website... definitely going to add that!!

Thanks even more.

John you are an absolute star.

I didn’t realise there was such a thing as an expansion vessel service valve (I’ve seen loads of external EVs fitted but never seen that valve used). Draining a massive system and losing £30 of inhibitor each time is just painful - just seen one on the Screwfix website... definitely going to add that!!

Thanks even more.
to report back.
System has been pressured for 2 days now (All valves Open) and no loss of pressure so it would seem the problem was the expansion vessel. I suppose in hindsight it was obvious if I have isolated everything but the EV and the pressure still dropped. [Still a bit mystified why a PRV hadn’t popped], but misunderstanding of how to properly test an EV threw me for a loop.

Added the service valve and must agree with John.G why this is not fitted as standard is a shame.

I’ve learnt a lot:
1. Definitely only way to check an EV is with no pressure on the water side... pressing the Schrader is only one test and not enough.
2. A 2 year old EV can still fail
3. Had a recap on Boyles law and how to calc the pressures on an EV
4. That there is such a thing as an EV service valve and should always be fitted with an EV
5. Gate valves are rubbish (although mine seem to be OK for now) but I will change them to 1/4 turn ball valves.

Huge thanks to all those responded, particularly John.G

What boiler do you have?
Any AAVs?
If you leave it for a few days does it continue to drop?
This is the simplest and more accurate remark.
Remember it,s a pressurised system,So once the pressure has been se to 1.5 bar of pressure it should only increase to around the 2bar mark once the heating is on.If you are finding a pressure drop and no wet ceiling marks you can only have a weep on a fitting under the floor so get a head torch and wriggle like a mole under the floor and find it.But before doing this check your radiator tails downstairs with dry paper towel as you would appear to have a very slight leak.Good luck👍

Reply to There must be a leak but can’t think where in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock