Search the forum,

Discuss The More Innocent Days Long Before Veto.... in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

After having a few issues trying to solder some cooper pipe, I had a surf around looking what kit is favoured today.

After viewing a few videos I was surprised how many seemed to be using Veto totes for their "gas bag"....I am in my 50's and was shown how to solder copper by my old fella when I was a teenager.

I vividly remember him carrying his torch and dumpy bottle in an old metal bucket of some sort along with the rubber hose, a couple of different nozzles, a few nearly finished rolls of solder and a jam jar half pull of flux...I want to say the torch was Calor but I might be wrong. It was used for everything from plumbing, to paint stripping to heating bitumen.

He was particularly proud of the notch/slot he'd cut in the side of the bucket where he could hang the hot torch lol..He would turn in his grave if he knew the price we pay for something as mundane as a gas bag lol....

you can get cheaper but tbh veto are decent its like anything there are suitable alternates but i bet your old man didnt have to pay around £70-80 for a torch and bottle tho :D

you can get cheaper but tbh veto are decent its like anything there are suitable alternates but i bet your old man didnt have to pay around £70-80 for a torch and bottle tho :D
Times change I guess...I have a couple of Veto myself, but I can imagine him shaking his head if he saw them...Not sure if it happens now, but it was common for time served joiners to have wooden tool totes they had made themselves as apprentices lol..

With regards his torch, I have no idea what he paid for it, but it was certainly looked after.

I once melted the rubber hose by putting the torch away while still too hot and I swear it was almost a flogging offence! I also recall he had one of the old paraffin torches, but that had been long retired to the back of the shed by the time I saw it...
He did use a couple of paraffin pressure lamps when we had the power cuts in the 1970's..they were proper death traps and again, wow betide if you broke the mantle on one....

Reply to The More Innocent Days Long Before Veto.... in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock