Currently reading:
The budget

Discuss The budget in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
So what's happened with this tax lark ?
Do us soke traders need more cash jobs now ?

I'll dig out the actual facts Ray but in a nutshell - it was around the time that many huge multinationals were in the spotlight for paying very little or even no tax in the UK - Starbucks, Vodafone amongst others.

The public outcry as why this should be so led to a deal being struck between Vodafone and HMRC whereby Vodafone agreed to pay around 10% of what "ought" to have been paid on their UK profit if they hadn't taken advantage of loopholes, and HMRC agreed to not pursue them for more.

Picking up on the public outcry, they smashed the windows of local Starbucks many of which were a franchise and guess who footed the bill for new windows.

I'll dig out the actual facts Ray but in a nutshell - it was around the time that many huge multinationals were in the spotlight for paying very little or even no tax in the UK - Starbucks, Vodafone amongst others.

The public outcry as why this should be so led to a deal being struck between Vodafone and HMRC whereby Vodafone agreed to pay around 10% of what "ought" to have been paid on their UK profit if they hadn't taken advantage of loopholes, and HMRC agreed to not pursue them for more.

Picking up on the public outcry, they smashed the windows of local Starbucks many of which were a franchise and guess who footed the bill for new windows.

Seems to me all everyone wants is a sense of fairness I.e those that make most profits pay most taxes and it just ain't happening..........Turnpin

Couldn`t have put it better mate, fairness.

Couldn`t have put it better mate, fairness.

I agree. But I respectfully submit that fairness requires that each business is judged individually on its own behaviour, and that all businesses are not considered to be as culpable as the headline-grabbing few.

I agree. But I respectfully submit that fairness requires that each business is judged individually on its own behaviour, and that all businesses are not considered to be as culpable as the headline-grabbing few.

I'd go along with that Ray fair point as we should not tar all companies with the same brush.....regards Turnpin

I'd go along with that Ray fair point as we should not tar all companies with the same brush.....regards Turnpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The budget in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock