Search the forum,

Discuss the boiler does not start in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a 50/90 boiler grant and I have a problem. When you try to run there is only a little smoke and nothing. The oil is in the tank. It happened suddenly. I attach a video. I am asking for suggestions. Thank you.

When was this boiler last serviced and flue inspected? From what I can see is the boiler and or flue are blocked causing a back pressure, which is why you see that puff of smoke back through air intake.
Furthermore the bearings will need replacing sooner rather than later and if its a conventional flue which I assume it is then the snorkel adapter should be changed over to conventional type inlet.

I'm hearing solenoid energise and a brief second of ignition before flame fails. The only time you will experience smoke/gases coming back through air intake is if the pressure inside chamber and flue is greater than atmospheric.
Of course there could be more going on but I'm willing to bet the attending technician will find a blocked chamber or flue.
Please do not keep trying to ignite the boiler, find a decent engineer to thoroughly look over it.
From what I can see in the video the bearings will definitely need replacing soon, the oil flexi looks in a bad way and could perish at any time, plus anything else that I can't see in the video.
Put your immersion heater on for now so you at least have hot water.

I'm hearing solenoid energise and a brief second of ignition before flame fails. The only time you will experience smoke/gases coming back through air intake is if the pressure inside chamber and flue is greater than atmospheric.
Of course there could be more going on but I'm willing to bet the attending technician will find a blocked chamber or flue.
Please do not keep trying to ignite the boiler, find a decent engineer to thoroughly look over it.
From what I can see in the video the bearings will definitely need replacing soon, the oil flexi looks in a bad way and could perish at any time, plus anything else that I can't see in the video.
Put your immersion heater on for now so you at least have hot water.
Hi, very accurate diagnosis. There was a plumber at my place and he found a blocked chimney. Thanks again

Hello. I will refresh the topic. the boiler after cleaning the chimney worked well for 1 day. After this time, he works as in the attached movie. After opening the lid, it starts working normally, after closing it works, pauses, works and the sound changes. Maybe the flue is not well cleaned? I feel the exhaust fumes more in the room. I am asking for suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200709_180213.mp4
    90.4 MB
I'm concerned by what you've written. I cant make out anything in that video. For demonstration purposes only please upload another video showing the whole boiler and flue please. I only want you to fire it up once, you say you can feel POC's (products of combustion) in the room? This is EXTREMELY dangerous and is an immediate risk if that is the case.

Hi I'm sorry I didn't write back. The problem was poorly cleaned flue. The whole problem is that the chimney flue is clean at the top while it is dirty at the bottom. The boiler is permanently in the wall and cannot be moved. At the top of the boiler is a permanent chimney knee. I had to use an industrial vacuum cleaner that pulled out a lot of ash. The boiler is now working normally. I hope this helped. The plumber had cleaned it before but he didn't do it right.

Ok. You mentioned flue gases being felt in the room. This could be down to a few things.
1. Seals inside boiler casing and/or flue have failed causing recirculation of flue gases. This will certainly cause the pulsating in flame pattern you described, especially if removing the front cover improves things.
2. A ventilation grill has become blocked/greased up etc, reducing the volume of air being admitted into the room.
3. The flue is still partially blocked.
All of the above can cause that issue mentioned.

If having cleaned the flue you have resolved the problem then hopefully all is well but through piece of mind I'm going to advise you to install a CO detector in the room (carbon monoxide). If doing what you have hasnt completely resolved the issue it may well save your life.

The whole flue gas path is/was blocked up with soot I reckon. It's probably had poor combustion making soot which has clogged the pathways and then just compounded the problem more and more, burning dirtier and dirtier until it finally failed. This whole installation needs a good looking over, clean and recommission job.

I agree that the eventual build of soot blocking the flue is down to the boiler burning dirty. To rectify this however is not a DIY job and needs a competent engineer to thoroughly go over the boiler. I dred to think what the FGA is at the moment but then I wouldn't stick the probe in before using smoke pump anyway

Reply to the boiler does not start in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock