Search the forum,

Discuss Thames Water lead pipes - meter to stopcock liability? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. Thames Water lead pipes - meter to stopcock liability? I have had contradicting info. from TW & employees regarding the TW /consumer onus to repair or replace and various dates relating to policy changes. I was denied a free change or repair 5+ years ago. Also been told that near future TW policy will again provide free maintenance up to stopcock.

Last edited:
If you’re talking about the boundary stopcock to inside your property then it’s your responsibility. If you renew the lead from the internal stopcock to the boundary the Thames Water May connect FOC under the lead replacement scheme.
Thanks but I am confused. TW meter & stopcock in pavement and lead pipe runs about 4m to my side-of-house door and there is access to my stopcock just inside the door. Why renew lead? Replace with alternative pipe - yes. Why "may" FOC? There is a large building demolish/build site entrance 5m across the road that required pile shutters and I wonder if seismic waves loosened the connection? Thanks for your answers.

Thanks but I am confused. TW meter & stopcock in pavement and lead pipe runs about 4m to my side-of-house door and there is access to my stopcock just inside the door. Why renew lead? Replace with alternative pipe - yes. Why "may" FOC? There is a large building demolish/build site entrance 5m across the road that required pile shutters and I wonder if seismic waves loosened the connection? Thanks for your answers.
You mentioned repair or replace, you wouldn’t renew lead, you’d replace the lead with mdpe. I don’t know if Thames water charge for connections, United utilities is my area, so you’d need to look if they do charge.

Thames Water (and other Water Co's) are responsible for their water main, the stop tap and or meter fitted to their main and the pipe from that point to the property boundary.

The property owner is responsible for the pipe from the boundary to the internal property stop tap (and all pipework within the property).

If the pipe to the property needs replacing, it's for the property owner to arrange and pay for the work from inside the property out and up to the boundary.

The property owner will then have to pay Thames Water or other Water Co. to connect the new pipe to their pipe in the street / pavement. This needs arranging before any work is started.

Water Companies have in the past waived the charge for connection of a replacement pipe to their existing stop tap / meter where lead pipe was previously used, whether they do at any particular time varies on their policy at the time.
I don't beleive they ever have waved charges for replacement from their main across the property boundary and inside the property.

Thames Water (and other Water Co's) are responsible for their water main, the stop tap and or meter fitted to their main and the pipe from that point to the property boundary.

The property owner is responsible for the pipe from the boundary to the internal property stop tap (and all pipework within the property).

If the pipe to the property needs replacing, it's for the property owner to arrange and pay for the work from inside the property out and up to the boundary.

The property owner will then have to pay Thames Water or other Water Co. to connect the new pipe to their pipe in the street / pavement. This needs arranging before any work is started.

Water Companies have in the past waived the charge for connection of a replacement pipe to their existing stop tap / meter where lead pipe was previously used, whether they do at any particular time varies on their policy at the time.
I don't beleive they ever have waved charges for replacement from their main across the property boundary and inside the property.
Hi, SORRY! I replied promptly & was about to upload pics but had to log out quickly & seeing "save" warning saved but seemingly missed this one. I loathe to repeat at length so again thank you & recognise now the difference between FOC for connection, NOT replacement. Leak is from a ? to 15mm copper pipe solder joint fail. Now not sure what supply pipe is. If I could find my gas bottle & torch I would add solder and considering using self-fusing tape....? Old & recuperating so not at my best. pics fail to show the culprit joint as it is under the nut preventing it from backing off further. Difficult access prevented better focus & subject. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3110.JPG
    IMG_3110.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    483.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3123.JPG
    653 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    801.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3127.JPG
    IMG_3127.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 23
For what the above joint in the pictures ?

15mm -15mm joint as it’s soft copper

That’s a 15mm soldered coupling need to go below that

Are you telling me that the lowest pipe is 15mm? Surely the solder join was to reduce it to fit tap?
Can anyone tell me what the whole joint consists of please? I am now not convinced that there is a lead pipe at all......?

Last edited:
If you remove the lower insulation / protection it should be 1/2 soft copper that you can solder or use a good quality compression fitting on

Old copper pipe than you could bend with your hand these days it’s 15mm soft copper back then 60s it was 1/2 soft draw copper

I think it’s time to call a plumber

Nope, it's an olive & a good seal. The leaking solder join is the olive & nut pipe into copper pipe & just hidden by the nut. Further down is another solder join. I will strip sleeve back tomorrow. thanks all.

Nope, it's an olive & a good seal. The leaking solder join is the olive & nut pipe into copper pipe & just hidden by the nut. Further down is another solder join. I will strip sleeve back tomorrow. thanks all.
If you are referring to ChrisB's suggestion that it's a tap connector (which it also looks like to me), surely what we see in the photos is not an olive? If it is, it's squashed beyond repair. It seems to have a flat face but with a chunk out of it (ringed) - or that might be a chunk out of the sealing washer?
Admittedly the other end of the tap seems to be a compression fitting, so if the above end is compression, the state of that olive might account for the leak?

55BA32F9-1ECB-4902-82DF-B1A8861795BA.jpeg
The tap connector theory would also explain why you think that's a 20mm pipe, which maybe the flared sleeve of the connector soldered over the 15mm pipe?

Yes, thanks Basher, - this morning I realised it's not an olive but edit option prevented my correcting my error!
Leak is spraying up from pipe into pipe solder joint under nut.
I am now not so keen on disturbing the stripping sleeve/cladding as it seems to be of a plaster type that can be picked away and fabric lower down. Hope to get better pics but -2C & I have chilblains. Many Thanks

So if the gap is a missing bit of fibre washer, and you can remove the remainder, you could clean it up, fit a replacement washer and problem solved!? 🤪

View attachment 79847
As I said, that joint is fine, the leak is where the tap join was added (hidden by nut). I appreciate your correction. I accept that I can either add solder or cut pipe and and replace with compression or quick fit tap fitting. Many thanks for your kind help.

Reply to Thames Water lead pipes - meter to stopcock liability? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock