Search the forum,

Discuss Testing hot water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If I check the pressure at a shower outlet on an unvented system should I see the value as set by the PRV (3 bar) on the cold water inlet group set or will the reduced pipe size to the shower head change the pressure ?
Other than removing the expansion vessel connection there is no other way to easily take a reading near the valve set.
Graham

If I check the pressure at a shower outlet on an unvented system should I see the value as set by the PRV (3 bar) on the cold water inlet group set or will the reduced pipe size to the shower head change the pressure ?

As long as there is no flow and the the shower outlet is at the same height as the PRV the diameter of the pipe linking the two won't affect your measurement of pressure.

The pressure you measure may be a bit higher than the PRV set-point because of the way expansion vessels work but if you draw a small amount of hot from a tap, just enough for the PRV to start passing to refill, the measurement should be okay.

Measuring the pressure at an outlet is okay but please remember, however, that any changes or adjustments to an unvented hot water system need to be made by a professional plumber qualified to work on unvented systems. This is often referred to as 'having a G3 ticket'. Do not mess with the expansion vessel connection, or any other parts, yourself.

Last edited:

Reply to Testing hot water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals. We've been in our house for over 3 years now, when we moved in the hot water pressure was pretty good (confirmed by a retired plumber family friend)...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock