Search the forum,

Discuss Testing central heating system for sludge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Is there a device where you can bleed the system water in to and look through it like a little tube and if you can see the
circle at the bottom its clean. If not it needs flushing.

Got any doubts have a strong magnet in the van. Copper cannot be magnetised but if you hold a magnet to bare copper pipe and it sticks to it you know there’s a build up of magnetite

Someone has been to the job. As apparently the person's boiler was banging. The plumber looked.in the magnaclean said was full of sludge and the system needs flushing. Every rad removing and flushing out.

Sludge or magnetite builds up due to corrosion. If the system is designed, installed and treated properly then very little to no sludge should ever form. If the system is as fouled as you say it is (which I don’t doubt you) then yes a proper power flush is needed but you also need to find the cause of the air ingress and rectify that.

If the boiler was banging because of sludge it would be the fact that the sludge is blocking the hex and pump?
Sludge can cause this yes but in order for sludge to cause that problem you would expect serious fouling. What’s the pipe layout? ie. vent, cold fill and pump locations.

Sludge can cause this yes but in order for sludge to cause that problem you would expect serious fouling. What’s the pipe layout? ie. vent, cold fill and pump locations.
I haven't looked yet. It's a sealed system so I have been told. Not a vented system and don't think it's previously been converted.

If it was bad enough on a system to cause this. Would it be pretty sludgy just bleeding a rad. I know sludge usually settles lower down

Combi or sys/ heat ?

Matt just take a sample out of the system then using one of these test kits send it through the post to them for chemical analysis you will receive a full report what contained in there, a quick inhibitor test kit is available, I wonder if it ever had inhibitor put in the system ? Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-071826.png
    Screenshot_20220205-071826.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220205-071956.png
    Screenshot_20220205-071956.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 8
Is hot water ok as the first to cop it is a plate normally

All I know is they called someone around as they said the boiler was banging. A plumber came around and said the magnaclean was full of sludge system needs flushing with ever rad taking off. Sounds like a coop out to me.

Reply to Testing central heating system for sludge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock