Search the forum,

Discuss Testing a Type TSR thermostat in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice to test the correct operation of a TSR thermostat for an immersion water heater. In the past with the old type of thermostats I would test for continuity between the live and neutral (when disconnected). Is this the same procedure for the the Type TSR themostats?
I do not seem to be getting any continuity between the live and neutral even on thermostats that are new out the box.

Any advise is really appreciated

Thank you

You should get a resistance and with it calling and open circuit when it’s tripped / cut

If you are testing the thermostat out of the immersion heater, there is no load between the immersion tabs, so you won't see any continuity between L and N.
Put a link where the immersion would go, and then you'll get a reading! (when it's disconnected from the immersion of course)

If you are testing the thermostat out of the immersion heater, there is no load between the immersion tabs, so you won't see any continuity between L and N.
Put a link where the immersion would go, and then you'll get a reading! (when it's disconnected from the immersion of course)
Thats great, thank you, I will do that now

If the stat is just out of the box just check for continuity between the two stat terminals and you should get zero ohms.

If the stat is just out of the box just check for continuity between the two stat terminals and you should get zero ohms.
You just have to be sure which those are - they're not the pair on the front, or the pair on the back! You can see why there
might be confusion!
E3199234-C84E-4433-B5D4-CAABCC548E9F.jpeg
I think you need to test between the bottom L terminal 'A', and the other side terminal '1' which is on the left when looking at the temp adjustment. Or short the immersion terminals together as I suggested in post #3, and measure between L (A) and N (B).

Last edited:
You just have to be sure which those are - they're not the pair on the front, or the pair on the back! You can see why there
might be confusion!
View attachment 75509
I think you need to test between the bottom L terminal 'A', and the other side terminal '1' which is on the left when looking at the temp adjustment. Or short the immersion terminals together as I suggested in post #3, and measure between L (A) and N (B).
Thanks, thats really helpful

Reply to Testing a Type TSR thermostat in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock