Search the forum,

Discuss Temperature relief unvented cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
What can be causing a temperature relief to drip. I have recharged the expansion vessle that had totally lost its charge. I am g3 registered. Thanks

You sure you mean the combined temperature and pressure relief valve? The 7 bar 95°c one?
Is it fed by immersion or boiler?
It's most likely a bit of crap stopping the valve from seating properly. Of course it could be sensing excess temperature and that needs investigatin
Its probably not pressure related because the 6 bar expansion relief valve on incoming main should activate first, unless that's faulty. If that's the case you'd need to investigate why the incoming pressure has risen ie, faulty pressure reducing valve etc.

You sure you mean the combined temperature and pressure relief valve? The 7 bar 95°c one?
Is it fed by immersion or boiler?
It's most likely a bit of crap stopping the valve from seating properly. Of course it could be sensing excess temperature and that needs investigatin
Its probably not pressure related because the 6 bar expansion relief valve on incoming main should activate first, unless that's faulty. If that's the case you'd need to investigate why the incoming pressure has risen ie, faulty pressure reducing valve etc.
Thank you I have just taken them apart it's the 6bar expansion relief valve on the incoming main that's letting by have recharged expansion vessel and is still letting by. Its a direct cylinder.

Ok. If that's the valve and its dripping all the time, not just when heating I'd suspect a bit of crap stopping it from seating properly (manually open valve and discharge some water to see if that shifts anything). If not that then the the pressure reducing valve may have failed. If theres any mixer taps or showers then you could have a back feed problem sending excessive high pressure cold water back into HW side.
If it's only doing it when heating the water then the expansion vessel could be at fault, possibly a couple of the above at same time.

Crap can and has caused this but usually flushing through would dislodge debris. Any doubts just isolate supply and take off and have a look. I suspect though that if the vessel is sound and of right size and reducing valve is ok then your problem lies elsewhere

Crap can and has caused this but usually flushing through would dislodge debris. Any doubts just isolate supply and take off and have a look. I suspect though that if the vessel is sound and of right size and reducing valve is ok then your problem lies elsewhere
Thanks the expansion vessel was totally empty when I got here. I have recharged and is still dripping. Do they sometimes not reseal correctly when discharged?

Are you a 100% sure the vessel hasn't failed? Have you tried dropping the pressure slightly through nipple to see if water appears or air? The vessel as you know is just a rubber diaphragm filled with air and no water should escape from nipple unless the diaphragm had ruptured. Also when you recharged the vessel did you drop the pressure out of the system first?

Are you a 100% sure the vessel hasn't failed? Have you tried dropping the pressure slightly through nipple to see if water appears or air? The vessel as you know is just a rubber diaphragm filled with air and no water should escape from nipple unless the diaphragm had ruptured. Also when you recharged the vessel did you drop the pressure out of the system first?
I did yes. I dropped pressure and took expansion vessel off as couldn't reach it in place.
[automerge]1583323750[/automerge]
Vessel hasn't ruptured

Ok. So if the pressure reducing valve is sound, vessel is sound and relief valve is still dripping I'd check to see if there is a back feed. Isolate inlet cold valve to cylinder, drop pressure out of the system until dripping stops and then leave for 5-10 minutes. If after a period of time the dripping starts again you know you have back feed from somewhere

Ok if that didn't start dripping after enough time for the pressure to build up again then we can rule that out. Now I would be most suspicious of either the PRV failed or the pressure reducing valve. Just out of curiosity what static pressure is the cold mains to rest of house?

What’s the main incoming pressure could be back pressuring

Do you mean feed back through a tap? There's one tap, the kitchen tap that has mains pressure one side and 3.5 bar hot water on the other. It's a dual flow tap though. I think.

Do you mean feed back through a tap? There's one tap, the kitchen tap that has mains pressure one side and 3.5 bar hot water on the other. It's a dual flow tap though. I think.

this one got a dcv on the hot side ?

I would fit one and see

Shaun I advised to isolate cold main into cylinder, drop some pressure out and then see if the PRV started to drip again after enough time for any back feeding to accumulate and it didn't happen, so installing a double check valve is not needed to test correct?
[automerge]1583332686[/automerge]
I may put a pressure reducer on the main in coming pipe and set to 3.5bar. So it's balanced everywhere.

I would advise one under the kitchen sink on incoming main so as you say it's all balanced, although this is not the current problem

Shaun I advised to isolate cold main into cylinder, drop some pressure out and then see if the PRV started to drip again after enough time for any back feeding to accumulate and it didn't happen, so installing a double check valve is not needed to test correct?
[automerge]1583332686[/automerge]

I would advise one under the kitchen sink on incoming main so as you say it's all balanced, although this is not the current problem

might of caused the original problem tho me and you know they don’t seal good after they’ve discharged

I would say prv on incoming one size larger eg 28mm for a 22mm supply etc

and change the incoming block

I've never had any issues with them sealing after opening - it's clean water, in theory no rubbish should get under them and thus seal OK.

I've only ever had three fail (where the Expansion has been OK) has been on temperature. One dripped on temperature rise and the other two would open full bore on a temp above 45oc. The other issue is backflow but that seems to have already been discussed.

Daft question - but are you sure it's the Temp/Pressure Relief valve dripping. Many installers tee that in with the blow off from the combination valve before the tundish - could it be this dripping instead? I find more regularly these fail.

I've never had any issues with them sealing after opening - it's clean water, in theory no rubbish should get under them and thus seal OK.

I've only ever had three fail (where the Expansion has been OK) has been on temperature. One dripped on temperature rise and the other two would open full bore on a temp above 45oc. The other issue is backflow but that seems to have already been discussed.

Daft question - but are you sure it's the Temp/Pressure Relief valve dripping. Many installers tee that in with the blow off from the combination valve before the tundish - could it be this dripping instead? I find more regularly these fail.

It's the 6 bar expansion relief valve that's the culprit, not the combined pressure and temperature valve mate

It's the 6 bar expansion relief valve that's the culprit, not the combined pressure and temperature valve mate
Ah yes, I read the first post and skim read the rest!

I'd put it down to a faulty 6 bar blow off then, easy enough to replace without replacing the whole combination valve. Had plenty of them fail for no apparent reason, probably most likely from the expansion not working correctly previously.

Reply to Temperature relief unvented cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock