Search the forum,

Discuss tee into underfloor 22mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HairGoneJohn

Hi

I want to add another ground floor radiator between two existing rads on an existing CH system. The pipes have been laid into the concrete floor,and run along the edge of the room about 2" from the surface.

I can hack out the concrete around the 22mm copper pipes but obviously cannot cut and separate them to insert the tees. Are there any special fittings that perhaps can be clamped around the pipes and then pierce them to connect my 15mm feed/return to the new radiator? Or is there another method?

thanks
HairGoneJohn

No special fittings just cut out a section and use a tee and a slip socket, it will be quite difficult and maybe not a diy job

The water will stay in the pipework no doubt and make trying to solder the joints a nightmare! Good luck tho =]

Thanks for the amazing immediate response !

I do not want to try soldering because of the remaining water as you say. Would a Speedfit plastic slip socket be a good idea ? And is it possible to get 22/15/22mm reducing slip tees?

Finally, the CH system was probably installed in 1987. Are the pipes likely to be imperial or metric, and is there an easy way to tell them apart before cutting them?

thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't get slip fittings as pushfit (speedfit etc) and doubt you can as compression either. Soldering will be your only sensible option.

quick thought, i have done it before freezer kit to ends of the pipe cut your tee in a solder fast as, done it twice, 2nd time soo was close but have worked well

Speedfit do 15 and 22mm slip tees. Just google "speedfit 22mm slip tee". I am told that compression slip tees are also available. Thanks for the freezing suggestion.

I stand corrected! Still wouldn't recommend for you though as you intend to bury the coupling.

Yes its a tuff one this, Speedfit would be the best choice for a diy'er but as said they can't be burried, the only choice is to solder which will require draindown and plumber.

Even compression fittings cannot be 'hidden'.

speedfit would make it hard to try and guard against corrosion in the future, the best solution would be soldered fittings then taped up to protect them from the concreate. the best way to ensure it will solder is to use a wet and dry vacume and suck out the water, then soldering will be straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tee into underfloor 22mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I need to fit a new rad but the location of it has an obstruction. I initially wanted to tee from the 22mm pipes but right beside them and in between my new rad and the 22mm pipes are two 15mm pipes heading to another rad. I'm a DIY'er and trying to keep my joints to a minimum, I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am in the process of renovating a property and have the floorboards up installing cabling etc, however it is the plumbing that I have to question and would like some advice if possible. The issue has been bugging me for ages as the house is my later fathers and I have always wondered...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock