Search the forum,

Discuss Tectite slip fitting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Trying to use a 28mm tectite slip coupling. Mangaged to get it over the pipe push it down, with some effort, but am damned if I can get it to come back. Am using the demounting tool and the plastic collar is all the way in but am damned if I can get it to come back on itself.

Trying to use a 28mm tectite slip coupling. Mangaged to get it over the pipe push it down, with some effort, but am damned if I can get it to come back. Am using the demounting tool and the plastic collar is all the way in but am damned if I can get it to come back on itself.

IIRC, you can use clean water as a lubricant (but nothing else).

Edit: BTW, don't under any circumstances lose concentration and stick a finger into these fittings while trying to figure out what's wrong. The nick-name "shark's teeth" is not a joke.

Last edited:
Agreed I do not want to spend the rest of my life in the airing cupboard. Oh and by the way think it needs more than clean water.
[automerge]1580309874[/automerge]

Last edited:
Oh and by the way think it needs more than clean water.
I'm fairly sure that the manufacturer's installation instructions say 'clean water' and don't use anything else. At least, that's what they said a few years ago because I remember reading them when toying with the idea of using some soap.

Am currently in discussion with Pegler. Their blurb mentions the O ring is already lubricated.

Yes, the new ones I have here have a smear of silicone inside them and it looks like they put the lube in the o-ring seat/groove first then put the o-ring on top of that so some lube squeezes out either side of the seal.

Reply to Tectite slip fitting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn the water off to avoid potential catastrophic damage. When I go away I have always tended to turn ours off, that's typically anything from a couple of...
Replies
Views
I have seen people speaking of this and others not understanding. I have a leak in my pipe coming from the main. Attaching a new 1/2" coupling to the 1/2" pipe (blue pipe) is a problem as the coupling is larger than the pipe although both are 1/2". Most people do not realize that there are...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Not sure if it's a plumbers job or another trade but thought I'd ask. I am installing a new toilet downstairs next to an outside wall. There is a 3 way inspection/access chamber about 1.5 metres outside this point which I plan on going into. It has one inlet in use from the upstairs WC...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock