Search the forum,

Discuss Tectite fitting for tight space in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Need to use a couple of 28mm tectite fitting, space very limited so soldering is out. Looking on the Peglar site there seems so many that look the same. Some they state as slip fittings, how do they work on a grab ring fitting?

Tectite are a bit like shark grip they are non removable (I think) I have used them a couple of times in similar situation to yours if you look at them it's an o'ring then some sort of stainless tooth grip ring

The sprint ones are non-demountable, but an advantage, in my case, is they are the shortest in length as I have not much leeway for pipe movement. This is why I asked about the slip fitting not sure how that works using grab rings.

Right am with it now. Was unsure how it slipped as there is a grab ring either end, was not aware one used the demounting tool. Quite obvious when one sees it done.
One comment on the guy's video was I thought the copper pipe was rather marked and scored. Does not matter with a soldered fitting but I have found that one needs a nice smooth pipe to effectively seal the O ring.
Thanks for taking time to reply guys.

I think the demount tool looks good here no need to be pushing into the fitting at the same time as pushing the fitting home.

It is interesting in both videos that they are using T fittings, it gets a bit more awkward if like me a straight coupling is required. The T offers a much longer body to slide onto the pipe. Have just spoken to Pegler who say on a straight slip fitting, 45144 you gain about 10mm of leeway, over the non slip 45123, ie you can slip it 10mm into the other end before it will foul the grab ring. In my case I do not need it dismounting and the Sprint fitting 75503 gives me the same leeway, no 10mm slip but the body is 20mm shorter divided by 2 giving me 10mm. Only problem with Sprint is not demountable.

One comment on the guy's video was I thought the copper pipe was rather marked and scored. Does not matter with a soldered fitting but I have found that one needs a nice smooth pipe to effectively seal the O ring.

I think there's two parts to this. Firstly I believe that the bright light the guy is using to film with is making the scratches look a great deal worse than they really are. Also, in my experience if a scratch on a copper pipe does not easily catch a fingernail drawn across it, it will seal and test fine with this design of fitting. The o-ring is malleable enough to seal against such marks.

If the pipe is visibly marked and easy to change, change it for a nicer piece. Where that is not feasible, if your fingernail easily skips over the scratch there's every chance it'll be fine. Obviously use experience and common sense but a marked or lightly scratched pipe can be joined onto if you really have to.

Beware the manufacturer's instructions though. If it causes damage I'd be worried they could say you didn't fit it to clean pipe so it's your fault. Obviously use your common sense depending upon the location. I think most of us have been amazed at how a fitting with an o-ring has sealed on a chewed up piece of alkathene on a temporary site supply.

In a hidden position, err on the side of caution and do everything you can to be connecting to clean perfectly smooth pipe though.

Have a couple of the slip fittings on order. Think I considered most possibilities with this, even slip copper fittings.
Necver even knew you could get soldered slip fittings. Opted for the tectite as the joints will be vertical and to my mind using a copper slip fitting I need 3 hands!

Necver even knew you could get soldered slip fittings.

If I need a slip coupling for copper I usually make one out of an end feed fitting by using my pen knife to scrape away the stop inside. A small half-round file works too but takes a bit longer. Another option I have used is to cut a coupling length piece of copper tube and use my socket forming tool to open up the small piece of tube so it slips all the way on to a pipe.

You can also buy them ready made in both end-feed and integral solder ring.

Reply to Tectite fitting for tight space in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock