Search the forum,

Discuss Taps Tails / Flexi's - HQ vs cheap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

WRAS approved Tap tail's (flexi's) - how do you distinguish the high quality ones from the crap ones.

What do you look for? What are the signs?

Then - where can I source HQ ones?

Good to be back,

L.

Wras approved all seem similar quality to me. Personally i feel the lifetime of a flexi depends mostly on its environment. Splashed regularly with soapy water and they die quickly.

Wras approved will have it stamped on them I agree environment has a big part to play had a few bursts and it can be costly if not caught and sorted out quickly . Kop

I think we need to keep in mind, that many fake poor quality products, imported into the U.K, have CE stamped on them at the factory/packing stage.

Especially the fakes.

I'm pretty sure - that on many poor quality/fake, mass-imported flexi's, wras/wras I.D can easily be stamped on them too.

Whats left is to, first - develop insight on how to examine a pipe & gage quality, then second - ensure you are buying from a supplier that controls its supply chains - and is likely to have done due diligence.

Surely there is someone out there that can teach us what to look for when examining these staple plumbing parts?

A good flexi generally has a bit more "chunkiness" to it, they haven't shaved off every gram of brass and steel.
I'm not sure that the market for flexible plumbing connectors is big enough to attract the attention of the fakers (yet.)
Its surely much more profitable and lower risk for someone so minded to just make very cheap nasty flexis and sell lots of them rather than faking a wras accreditation.
It's only conscientious professional plumbers who would even know to look for a wras mark when purchasing.
But it is something we should bear in mind, I'm sure I bought a fake "metabo" bench grinder a few years ago.

For me its really quite straightforward.

If I knew how to distinguish between the better (wras) & poorer (wras) unit's - I'd happily spend a few extra quid on superior variants.

Especially when you look at the costs associated with one leaking/bursting (if not caught at the earliest).

It is really puzzling me - that my question seems to be such a difficult one to answer, especially given how many of us install these things - day in & day out.

With such a staple product, you'd assume that theres loads of wisdom & experience on this topic.

Open to any further input on this.

Although an old thread, it seems that most taps sold by Bristan and Grohe have factory fitted non-removable flexi tails. Of course one would expect these to be high quality but still I would prefer not to have them.

Reply to Taps Tails / Flexi's - HQ vs cheap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock