Search the forum,

Discuss Tapered/Conical shaped pin in TRV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all - my first post!

I'm trying to help my dad sort out his very hot radiators and find out why it makes no difference to the radiator heat when the TRV setting is reduced i.e. regardless of what the TRVs are set to (i.e. regardless of whether the TRV is at the frost setting, or settings 1 to 5) the radiators are consistently at a high heat. So I was thinking that the TRVs may be stuck on full and have been reading advice on this/watching YouTube etc

But all the advice - on how to loosen the pins - show pictures of pins which are straight. But when I remove TRV heads, the pins, which do not move up and down when I press them, look much larger and are not straight but are tapered/conical shaped – see attached photo.
TRV 1.jpg

Does this matter? Or should I just carry on loosen in the tapered/conical pins by tapping them etc? Or is this some different system? (The valve head says the TRV is Boss 42 en215)

Many thanks for looking at my query!
Eliza

they will be stiff but should move down

But when I remove TRV heads, the pins, which do not move up and down when I press them,
Use something like a two pence piece between your thumb and the top of the cone so you can exert more pressure with less pain. It'll still feel quite stiff. (Plumbers have strong hands for dealing with jobs like this.)

Use something like a two pence piece between your thumb and the top of the cone so you can exert more pressure with less pain. It'll still feel quite stiff. (Plumbers have strong hands for dealing with jobs like this.)

TBH find the wooden end of a hammer works well or you could you a rolling pin / anything wooden flat and has a bit of weight

No H they are boss valves mate , push the cone shape pin down a flat bladed screw driver will do this and lubricant set the trv to it's highest setting before reconnecting the head to the valve ensure that it is fully tightened down hand tight and a little more set the valve to setting 3 and retest the heating if it fails to regulate the radiator temperature then it will need to be replaced , you could try turning the boiler thermostat down to 60 ° c to avoid overheating . Regards kop

Is the TRV head a bulldog ?

Please like this post if it was helpful.
Must admit thought they looked like bulldog valves.

New head required, it's not sensing correctly. But in saying that is the room hot? Always have discussions around, the heatings on, the rads cold but the room is warm. It's just the trv doing its job.
Yours could be the reverse.

Must admit thought they looked like bulldog valves.

New head required, it's not sensing correctly. But in saying that is the room hot? Always have discussions around, the heatings on, the rads cold but the room is warm. It's just the trv doing its job.
Yours could be the reverse.
That’s why I asked if they were bulldog. The heads always fail.

The boss ones look very similar.

Reply to Tapered/Conical shaped pin in TRV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock